RE : (Newbie Hello! / ZX Advice Please?)

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
RetroTechie

Re: RE : (Newbie Hello! / ZX Advice Please?)

Post by RetroTechie »

No offense monsterjazzlicks, but perhaps a temporary focus on Google search + Wikipedia reading skills is in order. For example a Google search for "grab a RPi" (in quotes) returns -surprisingly- only a few results both for web-links and images, but only 1 of those results is *not* about the Raspberry Pi. Punching "Python" or "embedded system" system in Wikipedia search box provides you with immediate (and extensive!) answers to the question "what is XYZ".

As for what you're looking for: imagine you could be equipped with instant 'über-programming skills' like this: Can you fly that helicopter?, what would be the first program you would write? What next? And what the 3rd?

The "why" and "what" is important here, please provide details! On what kind of hardware would you want to run those programs, and what external system(s) would you want it to take input from, output to, or 'talk to' in general sense?

With those first few programs done, what direction(s) are you thinking about for future projects?

Answer those questions (for yourself), and the remaining how-to questions will be easy to answer.

One way or the other, a Raspberry Pi would be a good buy. Won't break the bank, modern USB peripherals plug into it, and it's especially designed for learn-how-to-program and controlling a wide variety of add-on hardware (sensors, switches, LEDs, camera, touchscreen, motors, you name it). And yes it'll connect to an old TV as well. Afaik, later models still have composite video out, but 'hidden' in the audio jack (Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve vs. Tip-Ring-Sleeve, the additional connection carries composite video). Most TV's have a composite video input, this can go through SCART using a cheapo wiring adapter. If your TV doesn't have composite video or SCART, then it's so old you're lucky it still works... :lol:

Fun thing with the RPi is you can switch operating system simply by exchanging the SD card - much easier than for regular PC's/laptops. But despite its small size & cost, it's still a powerful & capable computer: 700 MHz+ and 3D capable video with hardware acceleration for a few popular video codecs, is by no means slow. If you get a RPi, I'd get the recently released Raspberry Pi 2. About the same price, can do all its predecessors can & more (like, run more Linux distributions and even Windows 10), just the CPU part is some 5-6 times faster than previous models.
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi Morris,
sirmorris wrote:
And will it have a SCART LEAD or does it fit into the modern ARIEL socket?
It has an HDMI output so it's all quite modern. Earlier versions also had an older fashioned video output but the picture quality wasn't great out of it.
Oh ok, that's good that it has the fittings for a modern TV connection.

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

RWAP,
RWAP wrote:SellMyRetro is my own site - it is indeed like eBay but specifically aimed at the retro and vintage computer / electronics market (although some sellers don't quite understand the point... :? ). If you want to bid or purchase an item, yes, you have to register with the site.

The type of ZX Spectrum pointed to (the ZX Spectrum+2) is probably one of the easiest for new users as it has a built in cassette deck (these are not easy to find), and a full sized keyboard.
Well done! I did not realize it was your own site! That's very good indeed. :)

Thank you for the LINK yesterday also. I just joined!

Best,

Paul
Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
Simon_Carr

Post by Simon_Carr »

Hello, and welcome to these forums...

This is a very useful thread: in all honesty I'm in a similar position to yourself, having played mainly on a Spectrum as a kid in the early 80s, but with little knowledge or experience of programming. Admittedly, I have got myself drawn into the whole retro computer scene, and now own a ZX81, numerous ZX Spectrums in different guises, a QL, and also a Raspberry Pi (oh, and a few old Apple Macs for good measure).

When I started out, I had ambitions to use these computers to learn a lot more about programming to inform my work, where some programming/coding skills would be useful, but actually, I have just ended up playing around with all the computers, just for a few hours each weekend, simply for the sake of it.

However, I would agree with some of the other posters in this thread: if you want to improve your programming skills to enhance your work in some way, I would go with a Raspberry Pi, and learn Scratch to begin with, followed by Python, which is a very useful and versatile language.

BUT....

Also.... Get yourself a Spectrum or a ZX81, once you have the requisite bits to have them up and running, they are great fun as a journey down memory lane, and there is a massive support community out there. Not sure if anyone has mentioned World of Spectrum, which is a massive resource of all things Sinclair. The forums can be a bit of a bear-pit, but there is a whole world of stuff out there!
Cheers,
Simon
Too many hobbies, too little time...
monsterjazzlicks

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the welcoming and helpful reply.

I was very interesting to read that you were once in something of a similar position to myself.

Yes, I really did greatly enjoy the GAMING aspects of the ZX SPECTRUM and have been thing about reliving those teenage experiences once again. I did own a SONY PS2 for a year or so when they first came out (thinking that it it would be a similar vibe to the ZX thing [game-wise]), but sadly it was worlds apart (and my ex-partner ended up playing on it 90% of the time [so at least it was getting used!]).

Anyway, this recent panging alongside wanting to develop some computer LANGUAGE skills/understanding brought me to this site where I decided to open a thread.

Cheers,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

I received and email from DUMMIES this morning advertising some of their computer series books.

Dum1
Dum1
Dum1.PNG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Dum2
Dum2
Dum2.PNG (72.51 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Ta,

Paul
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

If you or indeed anyone reading this does want to get into programming, it is a really good idea to set yourself a series of simple goals. By simple, I don't mean trying to create a full on game!

Now what the tasks are, partly depends on whether you are going to use a high level or a low level language... It also depends on the computer hardware used.

So to start you off, can you make a word flash on the screen?

Can you get a number from the user, do some calculations and then print the result on the screen. A simple example would be to get the current year and the users age, then calculate their birth year.

Of course, there are plenty more...

If you also want to explore hardware, a simple project is to have the simple objective of flashing a LED when a user presses a button.

Once you have done some simple things, you can then move to the next level and start a more complex project.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks Mark,
1024MAK wrote:If you or indeed anyone reading this does want to get into programming, it is a really good idea to set yourself a series of simple goals. By simple, I don't mean trying to create a full on game!
Sure! lol Bite size pieces is always the way forward.
Now what the tasks are, partly depends on whether you are going to use a high level or a low level language... It also depends on the computer hardware used.
Yes, someone earlier made the distinction between HIGH and LOW level (it may well have been your good-self!).
So to start you off, can you make a word flash on the screen?
I can just about mop my kitchen floor with Flash! :)
Can you get a number from the user, do some calculations and then print the result on the screen. A simple example would be to get the current year and the users age, then calculate their birth year.
I can't do ZLICH Mark!
Of course, there are plenty more...
I am quite certain there is!
If you also want to explore hardware, a simple project is to have the simple objective of flashing a LED when a user presses a button.
Well even that is too advanced a task for me at present!
Once you have done some simple things, you can then move to the next level and start a more complex project.
Yes, and that's why I think working steadily through the manual or a method book would be advisable. As I don't know anyone in my area who teaches and it may not be too much a fun subject to learn in a one2one setting.

Thanks a lot,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Retro Techie,
RetroTechie wrote:No offense monsterjazzlicks, but perhaps a temporary focus on Google search + Wikipedia reading skills is in order. For example a Google search for "grab a RPi" (in quotes) returns -surprisingly- only a few results both for web-links and images, but only 1 of those results is *not* about the Raspberry Pi. Punching "Python" or "embedded system" system in Wikipedia search box provides you with immediate (and extensive!) answers to the question "what is XYZ".
Yes that's true, but when you are a total novice sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. :shock: So I thought I would start with the forum thing and then hopefully (as has been the case here) I would be pointed in the right direction so that I could start doing some digging myself.
The "why" and "what" is important here, please provide details! On what kind of hardware would you want to run those programs, and what external system(s) would you want it to take input from, output to, or 'talk to' in general sense?
But if it was MUSIC hardware then would non-musicians be able to help still? eg stuff like MIDI.
With those first few programs done, what direction(s) are you thinking about for future projects?
Ok, so you start looking toward the future (aims).
Answer those questions (for yourself), and the remaining how-to questions will be easy to answer.
Ok.
One way or the other, a Raspberry Pi would be a good buy. Won't break the bank, modern USB peripherals plug into it, and it's especially designed for learn-how-to-program and controlling a wide variety of add-on hardware (sensors, switches, LEDs, camera, touchscreen, motors, you name it). And yes it'll connect to an old TV as well. Afaik, later models still have composite video out, but 'hidden' in the audio jack (Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve vs. Tip-Ring-Sleeve, the additional connection carries composite video). Most TV's have a composite video input, this can go through SCART using a cheapo wiring adapter. If your TV doesn't have composite video or SCART, then it's so old you're lucky it still works.
Thanks, that's very informative.
Fun thing with the RPi is you can switch operating system simply by exchanging the SD card - much easier than for regular PC's/laptops. But despite its small size & cost, it's still a powerful & capable computer: 700 MHz+ and 3D capable video with hardware acceleration for a few popular video codecs, is by no means slow. If you get a RPi, I'd get the recently released Raspberry Pi 2. About the same price, can do all its predecessors can & more (like, run more Linux distributions and even Windows 10), just the CPU part is some 5-6 times faster than previous models.
Cheers, that's a good bit of info there.

Best,

Paul
Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi Simon,
Simon_Carr wrote:When I started out, I had ambitions to use these computers to learn a lot more about programming to inform my work, where some programming/coding skills would be useful, but actually, I have just ended up playing around with all the computers, just for a few hours each weekend, simply for the sake of it.

Get yourself a Spectrum or a ZX81, once you have the requisite bits to have them up and running, they are great fun as a journey down memory lane, and there is a massive support community out there.
So did/have you ever done any actual programing (and studying the manual) on your ZX, or do you just use it for gaming still mostly?

Ta,

Paul