2040 Printer - Clonable?

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
Christopher

2040 Printer - Clonable?

Post by Christopher »

I am new, but I would like to ask about the TS2040 printer. Knowing how difficult it would likely be to find one in decent condition, how difficult would it be to assemble a reasonable "clone" of one? Perhaps it could be set up to use the same type of paper and ribbon as some printing calculators? I don't know. I suppose that if there were a schematic available it could be done. Any thoughts? I am asking because I am considering using a TS1000 as the control for a basic robot and would like to having the ability to print out from it.
Christopher L. Rose
RWAP

Re: 2040 Printer - Clonable?

Post by RWAP »

The TS2040 is not actually very difficult to find in working condition - I recently sold 3 of them.

It is also a rebadged Alphacom 32 printer, so you may need to search for that.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I agree there are Quite a few Alphacom32s about, I have two in regular use one since 85 very reliable and paper easy to find.
The only "Quirk" I find with them is that when used with Memotech memory packs, programs like the assembler ZXAS or MCODER2 suffer screen corruption then a white-out. It only seems to affect programs that lower ramtop and store data above ramtop.
The Sinclair/Timex ones don't have this problem.

A forum member from the long defunct TS1000 site suffered a similar problem unfortunately with no resolution.

Moggy
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I did some searching on the internet today and found this:

http://k1.dyndns.org/Vintage/Sinclair/

I was able to download the 25 page service manual for the sinclair printer. I think with a minor modification to the circuit (to reduce power consumption to 1.5VDC) I can otherwise create a reasonable clone of the printer, at least insofar as the computer itself will be concerned. This will probably be a summer project though, got too much to do still as it is, including verifying that my Timex Sinclair even works.
Christopher L. Rose
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Cloning Sinclairs printer is a bit of a dead end as it wasn't a thermal printer like the Alphacom but a spark printer which used special silvered paper, long since unobtainable. (except for the 40 odd rolls I have) :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_printer

Regards.
Moggy
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

wonder if this stuff would work ?

http://www.paperloop.co.uk/products/Ele ... -core.html

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I wasn't planning to perfectly clone it. I was planning on doing something more to the effect of the set up for a modern printing calculator. My plan is to extract the printer of a used printing calculator (once I am certain that it works) and then to replicate the circuit from the TS 2040. I know some printing calculators use thermal paper, so that is a possibility. For my particular project, I need to make everything as compact as possible. The simple truth is I plan to use my ZX81 as the CPU for a simple robot design, though in the vein of an older sci-fi style robot.
Christopher L. Rose
PrimitivePerson

Post by PrimitivePerson »

I decided to get a printer last year, as I fancied doing some creative things with my ZX81. I researched it a bit and decided against a ZX Printer, because of the type of paper needed. The Alphacom 32 seemed like just what I needed, and I picked one up on eBay. They're often available, paper is easy to find, and the quality of print is pretty good - is it really worth the hassle of trying to clone it? I'd suggest not...the TS2040/Alphacom 32s are built like little tanks and will last you pretty much forever.

Lee
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

PrimitivePerson wrote: is it really worth the hassle of trying to clone it?

Lee

Given my present budget and the only one I can find on ebay is $80 USD, yes, it is worth the hassle.
Christopher L. Rose
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

What about Item number: 260934818732 :?:
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.