ZXpand commander COPY bug?

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Moggy

ZXpand commander COPY bug?

Post by Moggy »

I think I may have found a bug in this undoubtedly superb piece of software.
The COPY function is something I have never bothered with until today when I wanted to copy certain song files to a new directory. I found that the COPY function will only copy files with a P extension, anything else IE .SNG .STC .PT3 it refuses to COPY, although it will readily MOVE said files, it also can be picky about which .p files it will copy. The commanders own Menu.p, for example, cannot be copied (on my set up at least)

To add further mystery if I rename a .SNG or any other file with a .P extension it refuses to copy that also! I would add that this is on a real zeddy and when I tried to test it against EO I found that the COPY and MOVE functions to be totally borked in the emulator so couldn't make a comparison.

So my question is; is it my copy of ZXpand commander that's knackered or is it a genuine bug? :?

(Yes I have seen the thread where Charlie addresses a similar problem Yerz was having but it doesn't really cover this) :)
sirmorris

Re: ZXpand commander COPY bug?

Post by sirmorris »

Curious. Can you please let me know what version firmware is reported when you start up? Are you using 'Dragon' cos I know there's a problem with that.

/me shakes head slowly with hands a-hip. Thinks: Tssk. users eh, always breaking stuff.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hmm, yep there's definitely a problem there. I'll get right back to ya.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Well good sir knight the plot thickens.

Just tried it again just now and all works perfectly!!!! :?
ALBEIT IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTORY :!: .

I have a working theory (which I have yet to check) insomuch as the files that refuse to copy over are ones that I put on the card from the internet via my PC.

In the past I have had trouble deleting these via Xpand commander because the file attributes where set to read only, SOOOO I'm wondering is this the case here that files with attribute set to read only can't also be copied as well as deleted?

Firmware 2.3 and overlay peek7679=66 incidentally.

Having buggered up Sir Morris's greatest creation, a sorrowfull Moggy does the decent thing and lays down in front of a bus
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

AHA! Yes, there is a feature (the code says 'hack' in a comment but I don't remember poor quality journalists being involved) whereby read-only files will trigger 'disable overlay ROM on load'. This will cause the source file to be loaded into memory but then fail to save (at best) because the ROM is no longer zxpand-aware :oops:

Code: Select all

// hack to make programs auto-disable ROM if read-only attribute is set
      if (filinfo.fattrib & AM_RDO)
      {
         flags |= 1;
      }
:? :oops:
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Great stuff Charlie as always, many thanks buddy. :D

Quick dump of the files to PC, attributes reset, load back to card and away we go job done. :lol:

Having realised that all this was Charlies fault, moggy arises gets his big dog and heads south down Oxford way!!