Zx spectrum tape loading issue

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
gozzo

Re: Zx spectrum tape loading issue

Post by gozzo »

4.433 crystal failure/drift is possible....but not common, this would certainly cause no colour..
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Hi gozzo
There is no such option in the screen menu to select PAL. I think it is automatic. Two things :
-either the composite video input of the LCD screen failed and I will know only by testing on another LCD screen
-either there is a failure in the Spectrum and I will go through the whole serie of troubleshootings keeping in mind that LN1889 may be the one.

I will have access to measuring tools this WE and will keep you posted.
Yes the pal encoder is socketed so it may have been replaced already in the past.
Understood for the crystal I will take the appropriate measures to ensure it is not faulty.

Once color issue will be hopefully solved I will try to load again programs with a mono jack cable. ;-)
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

does it have s video or component yuv input? maybe this has been selected somehow and the tv is ignoring the chroma signal?
though that usually has separate socket...?!?
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Ok problem solved :P !!
Tried to hook up the spectrum on another screen and I can see bright and sharp colors :-)!
Definitely my LCD screen has the composite in screwed up.

Many thanks to you !
Rick
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

doubt that theres anything actually "wrong" with the tv, just that its a right picky bitch, not liking the not-exactly-pal-and-ccir-compliant signal from the spectrum! i have one like that!
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Could be that yes ;-)
Next will be to dig out the mono jack cable and finally try to load games.
I may definitely take one of those composite to scart adapters and hook this to the scart port
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

if you try to feed composite to a scart through adapter, you may well get the same problem, as all the tv will do is take its input from that instead of the separate rca (?) inputs! is there any way you can view what it thinks its being fed? on mine you select one of the picture setting menus and at the bottom it says pal 50hz, ntsc 60hz, or whatever, this is what it has auto selected...mine goes to ntsc, but at 50hz (!!!) when fed from my pal philips pattern generator! stupid thing.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

been wondering if one of those video copy processors that used to be used with tape to tape copy would improve things??
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

repetto74 wrote:Could be that yes ;-)
Next will be to dig out the mono jack cable and finally try to load games.
I may definitely take one of those composite to scart adapters and hook this to the scart port
SCART sockets support composite video by default, so if the LCD TV does not like the Spectrum's composite video on it's separate composite video input (yellow phono / RCA) connector, you are likely to get the same with a SCART lead adapter. Or do you mean something different?

Some SCART inputs may also support RGB and/or S-Video. But the ULA in 16k, 48k and plus machines does not produce RGB outputs and the video circuitry in these machines is not configured for S-Video.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gozzo wrote:been wondering if one of those video copy processors that used to be used with tape to tape copy would improve things??
Unlikely, these attempt to correct the deliberate anti-copy signal, restore the black and sync levels and "clean-up" the signal a bit. But can't improve anything that is "missing".

Try using some other sources that produce a composite video signal, to see how many, if any work correctly with this TV. E.G. other retro computers, VCR, DVD, digital set-top box, etc...

And search the Internet with the model number of your TV to see if others have had problems, or have discovered if there are and hidden adjustment / settings screens / menus / options.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.