ZX Spectrum Next

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Shaun_B

ZX Spectrum Next

Post by Shaun_B »

I've been looking at what my next personal computer should be and it seems that the ZX Next will have a ZX81 mode, so that is where my money is going.

I'm hoping it'll support the colour modes from this as well but perhaps that is a bit too much to ask.

Regards,

Shaun.
gammaray

Re: ZX Spectrum Next

Post by gammaray »

You just never know! The ZX81(color) will probably get the least attention. But the GPU will probably make it a no brainer if they choose to implement.

:?:
Last edited by gammaray on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

From what I've read, the Spectrum Next is FPGA based (their site mentions Altera Cyclone II) and designed to be open / hacker-friendly.

I tend to judge FPGA boards on the FPGA used (family, # of LE's, # of IO's accessible etc), integrated peripherals, documentation, and ready-to-use softcores available for that board. Regardless of original purpose. As such, the Spectrum Next would be a very attractive offer if they manage to hold the price down. :?

Once out, nothing to stop anyone from slapping a ZX81 core on it with all the bells & whistles... 8-)
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

The ZX81 mode(s) will not be getting the least attention from me ;-)

I wonder if the 7Mhz feature will work for the Zeddy mode? If not then there'll still be enough there for me to be buying one.

Regards,

Shaun.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

The zx81 mode of the Next is not a native zx81 mode.
It's a spectrum mode with the zx81 emulator rom from Paul farrow
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I knew if I talked gobshite, someone would set me straight! ;) And I would get the truth...

Still gonna love Spec'next!
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

chernandezba wrote:The zx81 mode of the Next is not a native zx81 mode.
It's a spectrum mode with the zx81 emulator rom from Paul farrow
How will the Jupiter ACE 'mode' be handled then? Will that be an emulator as well?

Hopefully the emulation will be pretty compatible, and it'll mean I can run at 7Mhz as well.

Regards,

Shaun.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Yes, same method (emulation through zx spectrum)

http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... er_Ace.htm
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
Paul

Post by Paul »

as pokemon said:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2350#p24410

It's on Kickstarter
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Funded! :D

Btw pictures show a Xilinx XC6SLX9 (Spartan-6 family). Which is kind of a low-end FPGA. But should provide plenty space for other machine implementations that aren't too complex.