ZX Spectrum Harlequin kit (48K). How to add AY-3-8912 ?

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
shadow338

ZX Spectrum Harlequin kit (48K). How to add AY-3-8912 ?

Post by shadow338 »

Hello,

Can I use the following schematic (attachment) that was taken from the 128K ZX Spectrum Harlequin and adapt on the 48K version?Or do I need to pay attention to anything in special?

Thanks!
Attachments
AY-3-8912.jpg
AY-3-8912.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 14777 times
1024MAK

Re: ZX Spectrum Harlequin kit (48K). How to add AY-3-8912 ?

Post by 1024MAK »

shadow338 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm Hello,

Can I use the following schematic (attachment) that was taken from the 128K ZX Spectrum Harlequin and adapt on the 48K version?Or do I need to pay attention to anything in special?

Thanks!
You need some decoding circuitry to drive the control inputs (CLK, BC1, BDIR) to the AY-8912 chip.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

You need some decoding circuitry to drive the control inputs (CLK, BC1, BDIR) to the AY-8912 chip.
Mark
Which means...???
Please, could you explain with a little more detail?
Has anybody done it, fitting a real AY inside a plain 48k speccy?
A step-by-step photo tutorial for dummies would be great from someone that has already done it, I mean a lot of people would like to do that and (in theory) it shoudn't be that difficult...
I don't like the external AY boards, but having searched a lot during the past years, I didn't find a good guide for that purpose around the web...

P.S. Should I open a new topic? Am I hijacking here?
:roll:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I think it has been done for a ZX Spectrum+ where there is more room. Someone has even upgraded one to 128k RAM.

There is this project

I'm not aware of any step by step instructions.

In order for the CPU to send data to the AY sound chip, some logic circuitry has to detect the address output by the CPU, and that the the CPU is trying to access a input/output device. This requires some extra logic chips. Either standard 74LSxxx or 74HCTxxx logic chips, or a programmable logic chip.

If you want the AY sound chip to have the same address as in 128k Spectrums, then you have to use the same address detection (called address decoding).

There are some details in the link I have included above. Note that I have not had time to check to see what addresses this design uses.

I'm sure you will have more questions... ask away.

As fitting to a Sinclair Spectrum or a Harlequin is similar, I don't think there is a need to open a new thread. Unless of course shadow338 would prefer this.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
superfo

Post by superfo »

see attached file, note: Y1 is not used.
Attachments
SCHEMATIC1 _ PAGE1.pdf
(49.8 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
shadow338

Post by shadow338 »

thanks superfo!

I was looking at the pdf provide and I have a few questions:

1 - is that Ok if we don't include the Kempson part of the circuit? (U5 + U6)

2 - How we hook up the AUDIO out of the AY to the harlequin original speaker or/and original EAR?

thanks!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@shadow338 Yes, if you do not want the Kempston joystick port, leave out U5, U6, D1, D2 and J2.
shadow338 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 pmHow we hook up the AUDIO out of the AY to the harlequin original speaker or/and original EAR?
In an ideal world, you would use some resistors to form a simple mixer that feeds into an amplifier. One set of resistors and one amplifier for mono, two sets if you want "stereo". However, that is not what you are asking for...
I will have to have a look a the Harlequin schematic first...

Unless Superfo beats me to it :mrgreen:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!