What makes a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Valuable

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
RetroWill

What makes a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Valuable

Post by RetroWill »

Hi

I was just wondering what makes a ZX Spectrum valuable? I saw recently on eBay a Spectrum with a serial number of 011-817721 sell for €750!! Just wondered what made this machine more valuable than most?

Thanks
Will
1024MAK

Re: What makes a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Valuable

Post by 1024MAK »

One word: collectors.

Some are so keen to get their hand on "so called" early machines, they can't help themselves and keep bidding. That's assuming that there was plenty of bidders.

If there were only a very small number of bidders, then that may have been a somewhat suspicious sale.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RetroWill

Post by RetroWill »

I did find it strange as I have a earlier mint Spectrum 48K in a perfect box with Styrofoam intact. I even had the Horizons tape unopened and I only reached €125, I was gutted.
I thought that his serial number would have been part of some important batch or something. Just wondered was there somewhere where the valuable serial numbers were categorised and why they are valuable.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Issue 1 rubber key ZX Spectrums with the light grey keyboard are the only "special" machines, and this is only because not that many were produced. Later machines in really good condition with like new boxes etc also normally fetch good prices.

But no, other than that, serial numbers are just numbers. But some collectors make a big deal about having a "low" serial number...

Note that Issue 2 boards, and the later issue boards were produced in the hundreds of thousands.

For more on serial numbers, have a look at these World of Spectrum threads

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
RetroWill

Post by RetroWill »

Cheers Mark!
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

If the serial number is 001-015000 (in green) or less then it is (or should be) an issue one. Some sites suggest that 50,000 issue ones were made but I believe it was only 15,000.
I base this on conversations with Mutant Caterpillar Games (who see a lot of Spectrums, and not just from me...) and having bought two issue ones (001499 and one about 014000) and a number issue twos with serial numbers in the range of 20,000 through to 60,000.
Occasionally a serial number above 15000 will have an issue one motherboard but have the later dark keyboard rather than the lighter faun coloured one. This is suspected to be due to Sinclair... :D

Some keyboard comparisons:-
4EB68D5F-D352-4AC0-A0FF-398533700212.jpeg
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 356 times

The dark one is a later keyboard - better in artificial light.
The middle one is a repro issue one -slightly darker than the original.
The light one is an issue one off my serial no 1499.

If you are looking at photos on ebay it is often the case that later ones look like earlier ones due to the effects of the flash.

I recently saw a perfectly normal spectrum go for over £800! Only two big bids (both over 800) so probably a bit dodgy.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
RetroWill

Post by RetroWill »

Thanks very much from your reply. I'm a bit wiser today! Happy Christmas!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Also, just to amplify and clarify, Sinclair or it's service agents sometimes repaired units by putting a new board in. But also earlier boards appeared in later cases, it could be that these were either unused stock from an earlier incomplete production run, or defective/faulty boards that had been repaired. It is likely that service and repair companies swapped boards at busy times, and then repaired the faulty boards during slack times, ready for the next busy time...

And of course, with all the replacement keyboards & cases that came on the market, it's possible that some of these boards have been rehoused back in donor non-original (for that PCB) cases.

And finally, the rubber key top can wear out, so during the service life, a repair agent would use the newer darker colour rubber mat.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!