ZX Spectrum won't load

ZX82

ZX Spectrum won't load

Post by ZX82 »

Hello, My ZX Spectrum (2 of them) won't load and I can't tune in. Even after doing the SCART trick on one. and buying a second one on Gumtree and also buying a ZX Spectrum power brick, Any help appreciated. Thanks.
gozzo

Re: ZX Spectrum won't load

Post by gozzo »

scart trick? what scart trick? how are you connecting them to the tv? uhf rf? composite - if so have they actually been composite modded? what model spectrum?
ZX82

Post by ZX82 »

Model 2. The scart trick is to cut 2 wires and put in a new one which replaces it from RF to Scart. The first one is connected via that scart trick. The second one is just the average RF which I can't tune in to. It just comes up blank all channels that the ZX Spectrum is on. Any help that you can give will be greatly appericated. Thanks

EDIT: Only the first one has been SCART modded. The one that I bought from Gumtree is standard RF.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Do you mean ZX Spectrum 128+2 model with built in cassette deck? What does the text on the PSU say? (This tells us which +2 model it is).

Or do you mean another model? Or are you referring to the board issue number?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

hmm, thats a composite mod, not necessarily scart. are you connecting to a scart socket with a rca to scart adapter? . i say again what exact model of spectrums...
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

many modern tvs cannot tune to the rf signal produced by the spectrum, so not surprised at that...
ZX82

Post by ZX82 »

Then how would you get it to work with a modern TV?

EDIT: 48k Spectrum Model 2 is the version I have got.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

easiest way to get it to work is a composite mod!
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

if by model 2 you mean issue 2, these can have poor 'yellowish' pictures, may need adjustment of the 2 variable resistors...
there are details on the 'net about various ways of doing a composite mod, some totally empty the modulator can which is unnecessary, easiest is a wire link from modulator input to the phono centre contact, disconnecting the 47 ohm resistor originally connected to it, but the dc level is fairly high which may be trouble with some tvs, best to wire a 100uf 10v or more capacitor in series with it..sounds like you already did this (?) with one of them, but you had no results???? how exactly did you do it and how is it connected to the tv? you said cut 2 wires? and link one? presumably as described above, disconnecting the 47 ohm resistor....but what was the other one? you could try fitting a capacitor in series.... as i said 'some' tvs dont like the high dc level of the directly done output..
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

i assume the power supply you are using is ok and up to at least 8v,..and correct polarity?