working 6s crash with diag rom

1024MAK

Re: working 6s crash with diag rom

Post by 1024MAK »

If you want to minimise the risk to the board, and don't have a desoldering station, you could cut each pin, then once the chip body is out of the way, it's easier to remove each pin individually.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
amateus

Post by amateus »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:02 am If you want to minimise the risk to the board, and don't have a desoldering station, you could cut each pin, then once the chip body is out of the way, it's easier to remove each pin individually.

Mark
Yes that's an alternative but I would like to retain the chip working. After all it's almost fully working, it's just the M1 line is missing. I can use it to test other dodgy units for example.

Btw, Mark, where do you buy your ICs? I used to buy at retroleum, but import fees to EU are rather prohibitive now.
redgatemodels

Post by redgatemodels »

Last edited by redgatemodels on Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yeah, Zilog still manufacture the CMOS versions. So any company that carries Zilog products should be able to sell you one.

The CMOS Z80 should work in most ZX Spectrums.

The last Z80 that I bought came from RS Components I think. But I would have bought it at the trade counter (shop) in the nearest city to me in the U.K.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
amateus

Post by amateus »

Thanks for the information guys, I'll buy one.
amateus

Post by amateus »

Quick update on this. Interesting one tbh.

I have removed the faulty Z80 and the M1 line is recovered.

Result:
DivMMC now works. Diagnostics ROM still has problems, symptoms are pretty much the same.

Short story:
Diagnostics card work correctly without the ROM chip installed. If I test with any known good ROM chip installed, never works.

Long Story:
After a lot of fiddling and continuity checks, I've decided to remove the ROM chip, install a socket and use a diag chip I have from retroleum. Work done, Diag chip run ok. I left him running for some time, all good, no errors
I inserted the diagnostics card and again the same problem. I've tested with other ROMS I have with no luck.
I then decided to try running the diagnostics card without any ROM installed and surprise surprise, it worked.

So, definitely something is going on in the ROM area. While the unit works fine and reports no errors when I run the diagnostics (whether from the diagnostic card without ROM chip, or from Retroleum diagnostic ROM chip), it crashes if I try to use both.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Antonio
redgatemodels

Post by redgatemodels »

No expert, but I'd be leaning towards a problem with the diag card. Does the Retroleum ROM run in the diag card?
amateus

Post by amateus »

redgatemodels wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:40 am No expert, but I'd be leaning towards a problem with the diag card. Does the Retroleum ROM run in the diag card?
So, not excluding any issue with the card, but it works on all other units, a mix of 48k and 128k, I have :)
redgatemodels

Post by redgatemodels »

hmmm, very odd indeed. Bit like my Issue 2 weird colours problem, it's maddening tracking down what the problems are sometimes.