Hello from Somerset

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
KrazyKattapilla

Hello from Somerset

Post by KrazyKattapilla »

Hi Folks,

I've made a couple of posts elsewhere but realised I have been quite remiss and not said hello - so here is a "Hello".

I'm based in Somerset in the UK where the weather is rather nice at the moment although it did rain when walking the dog earlier.

I suspect my story is similar to many of yours. My first experience of a computer was a solo ZX Spectrum at school which was shared between goodness knows how many of us. I remember the only learning resource being a generic Osborne book with basic code to draw a space invader in it - no wonder most people thought it was rubbish if that was all it could do.

I on the other hand was fascinated and pestered my parents for months to buy me a computer. I still remember getting that ZX81 and playing 3D monster maze. More importantly though this is when I started programming; first of all going through the basic manual with my Dad and doing the example programs and then doing the magazine type-ins before branching out on my own. 30ish years later I'm still in IT having had a rewarding career in development and now teaching computer science to undergraduates

More recently I've rediscovered Z80 based machines and am finally learning machine code. Admittedly, I mainly work on the Spectrum at the moment but I've just got a copy of Toni's book for the ZX81 so might make the transition there as well.

KK
1024MAK

Re: Hello from Somerset

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board KK!

:D :D :D

Welcome to Sinclair ZX World. Glad you found this thread and introduced yourself. Sounds like you need to obtain a Zeddy....

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
KrazyKattapilla

Re: Hello from Somerset

Post by KrazyKattapilla »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome.

I do have a working ZX81 with a composite video modification. I'm going to be posting some queries up in the development forum in respect of that...

I also have a working ZX80 but that's going on eBay today...

KK