Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by MunichSpec » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am

Here is the PC tool:
mdv2img.exe.zip
(62.8 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
and this is the (repaired) Microdrive cartridge image it produces:
CARTRIDG.repaired.MDR.zip
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
. This essentially proves, that everything works in Gerton's WinZ80.

However, things are quite different in EightyOne. When I mount the original CARTRIDG.orig.MDR, connect the IF1's RS232 port to a file (say if1_out.txt) and run mdv2img.tap, lots of checksum errors are reported. The configuration is like this:
EightyOne.Configuration.png
EightyOne.Configuration.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 100 times
and the result looks like this:
EightyOne.Result.png
EightyOne.Result.png (27.76 KiB) Viewed 100 times
The resulting dump (
if1_out.txt
(19.09 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
) is just 19'548 bytes long and it's pretty clear that the complete cartridge can not be successfully recovered from it.

I'm a bit out of luck here and just guess that EightyOne probably doesn't emulate low level Microdrive access from machine code very well. There are a lot of INIR commands involved (as you can see in mdv2img.z8a, starting from label GET_M_HD) and this might be the tricky part.

I don't know if you are that much into Z80 machine code and IF-1 interna - but if you have the time and interest to investigate this issue, it would be my pleasure to help wherever necessary.

Thank you very much!

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm

marste wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm
Regarding symbol instead I don’t understand how to load the .sym file: I have all files .p or .o with the corresponding .sym file and in No$Zx the symbols are loaded and displayed automatically, but is not the case of EightyOne… How to load the .sym file or maybe is a matter of format? (I attached an example of what is loaded in No$Zx)
_Stefano
In order to use the existing symbol store you would drag-and-drop the symbol file onto EO during use. I know this is ugly and inconvenient. Also the symbol file format was of my own design and it turns out incompatible with most assemblers/debuggers out there ;) As it stands you need to specify symbols like:

Code: Select all

SYMBOL ADDRESS
SYMBOL ADDRESS
Where address is 4 hex digits.

You can type a symbol name in any input box that accepts addresses. The symbol browser button on the debug window pops open a list of available symbols. Right-clicking a symbol gives options to look at memory or add breakpoints at the appropriate address.

I'm in the process of adding the feature you requested where loading a P file will also load a symbol file if one is present. So far I've only added the feature to the ZXpand file system emulation because I know this well and it seems a good place to start. I should also be able to do something with the drag-and-drop file load feature, and perhaps TZX in the far future but I generally avoid TZX because it's ugly and largely irrelevant for the '80 and '81.

I'll also eventually migrate the symbol format to that of NO$, as this is what is exported from a number of assemblers.

Code: Select all

PAGE:ADDRESS SYMBOL
PAGE:ADDRESS SYMBOL
where page and address are both 4 hex digits.
--=== ZXpand+ ... A more moderner all-in-one upgrade solution for ZX81 ===--
* SD/MMC storage * 32K Hires-capable RAM * AY sound chip * Joystick port * Serial *
* BASIC enhancements - plug & play * Reset button * Auto-boot facility *

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:06 pm

MunichSpec wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am
I don't know if you are that much into Z80 machine code and IF-1 interna - but if you have the time and interest to investigate this issue, it would be my pleasure to help wherever necessary.
Hi there.

I've been known to do a little Z80 from time to time. I don't do Spectrum however. I'll have a little look and if there's anything obvious then I'll see what I can do, but to be honest my gut tells me that this looks like it would be an absolute stinker.

C
--=== ZXpand+ ... A more moderner all-in-one upgrade solution for ZX81 ===--
* SD/MMC storage * 32K Hires-capable RAM * AY sound chip * Joystick port * Serial *
* BASIC enhancements - plug & play * Reset button * Auto-boot facility *