Smallest chess program ever.

Post by Moggy »

picked up on this via the WOS forum....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31028787

Seems the zeddies 1k chess program has lost its 33 year record. :(
1024MAK

Re: Smallest chess program ever.

Post by 1024MAK »

I'm nowhere near being a decent chess player, let alone a good one. So how does this new "cut down" version of the game compare to the more recent Zeddy versions in this thread? Are the latest Zeddy versions more complete (closer to "standard" chess)?

There is also topic about this on StarDot forums.

Mark

PS WoS thread is here :mrgreen:
Last edited by 1024MAK on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I seemed to have missed this thread completely and I like a game of chess.

How ithe zeddy 1k compares to this new one I don't know but Zsolt has done a cracking job with the zeddy version IE tidier board, better input and pawn promotion. :D

It lacks the castling and en passant of standard chess but hells bells for 1k this is fantastic plus at last something for the ZX80. :D :D

I like to match zeddy chess programs against one I have for PC(obviously crippling the PC's thinking time for equality) and will do the same with this one.
Last edited by Moggy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Well had a mess around with this and the first thing I noticed is that it plays a different opening move from the standard 1k chess insomuch as for example the common opening queens pawn
move of Queens pawn to Queens pawn three as implemented on the original game is transcribed to Queens pawn to queens pawn four on the new version which I wouldn't have thought was the usual queens pawn opening(Miese's Opening).
there is the usual cycling of of the rook between a1-a2 as in the original 1k and it is only after some aggressive attacking that white finally wakes up unlike the original 1k which plays a surprisingly spirited game.

I can only assume that the game logic has been altered in some way when adding the extras and plays a slightly weaker game as a result.

The games both play on real ZX80/81 with Zxpand.

These are observations only and not criticisms in any way. :)

EDIT It would seem that the new tiny chess is a bit of a cheat...

http://www.dailytech.com/Worlds+Smalles ... e37115.htm