Tims' Checkers

General games-related topics
dasteph

Tims' Checkers

Post by dasteph »

Just released a new yet old game for the ZX81. It's old because basically it's Checkers / Draughts. It's new as I've only just published it. And once again it's old as it's based on some articles published in ZX-Computing back in 1982-83 by Tim Hartnell.

All feedback welcome, this is a beta release and there are bound to be some issues or enhancements that must be squeezed in some place. The Game is available from my blog page. https://zx81keyboardadventure.blogspot. ... -tims.html
dr beep

Re: Tims' Checkers

Post by dr beep »

The size of the screenmemory might be brought back to/with app. 3K with a different display method.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I was even thinking of an altered display from my 1K hires game SPY vs SPY.
This is not pixelperfect, but would work too.
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

dr beep wrote:The size of the screenmemory might be brought back to/with app. 3K with a different display method.
I had thought that udg mode might work a little more effectively memory wise. At the moment adding any more code slowly eats from the bottom up into the wrx screen. Other than that I guess it's a trip into assembler rather than just using the z88dk libraries .
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

dasteph wrote:
dr beep wrote:The size of the screenmemory might be brought back to/with app. 3K with a different display method.
I had thought that udg mode might work a little more effectively memory wise. At the moment adding any more code slowly eats from the bottom up into the wrx screen. Other than that I guess it's a trip into assembler rather than just using the z88dk libraries .
Can you share the soure?
I want to give it a look.
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

No problem, I've sent you a PM with the link. I'm going to make it public at some poitnt, once happy with it.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Really interesting post and links thanks!

C for the zeddy? Who knew? Certainly not me. This of course means I now have something else to add to my 'to do' list:-

Learn to solder, mostly so I can fit my ZX8-CCB
Learn some basic electronics
Learn enough Z80 to write a passable game in 1k
Learn C

A whole host of stuff on my Beeb (finish learning 6502, BCPL, Forth, finish my TurboMMC explorer, write the same for ADFS, the list goes on). I actually have C for my Beeb but it won't compile on modern hardware such as MMC or my Datacentre or even my BITD Opus Challenger floppy disc drive!

Strictly speaking I kind of know C having written several embedded programs for smart bar code readers about 10 years ago but being honest I really had no idea what I was doing! It all worked and we got paid so no harm no foul I guess.

I am in the car so research is a bit difficult but is there a 'Hello World!' project for C for the zeddy anywhere? Having something that compiles and goes makes getting started so much easier!

Lardo
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
siggi

Post by siggi »

Just have a look at Z88DK:

https://www.z88dk.org/wiki/doku.php?id=platform:zx81

And if you do not find enouth C exaples there: I can post the C-source of ZeddyFox: the brower for the ZX81 using ZeddyNet (all written in C and Assembler) :mrgreen:

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

Also, there is an excellent document written by members of this site. I got and keep finding a lot of really useful information out of it, plus It's a great intro into the otherwise initially slightly obtuse information on the z88dk page.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1043
stefano

Post by stefano »

Z88dk wouldn't exist on the zx81 in the current form without the huge support we had from this German zx81 lovers group.. it is along story, I can tell later.. but zx81.de can be proud of it.