Loading/Editing/Saving .p files..?

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
gammaray

Re: Loading/Editing/Saving .p files..?

Post by gammaray »

The only tools that don't seem to work in wine shown in graphic below... all of the "subclassing"

vb81... works and the other tools seem to work.

Do we have to start a whole new group of RETRO ZED EMULATORS USERS RUNNING ON RETRO WINDOWS CALL ON MODERN LINUX SYSTEMS...

Down the rabbit hole we go...
zxtools.png
zxtools.png (65.68 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

HI Gammaray,
Yes, on this Tools, you had to install the "subclassing" DLLS, at the bottom of the picture... (another 'setup' to run...)

But, ZXbasic is only a front-end to use the old BAS2P.exe file...

Prefer the "ZxToken" to compile in a 'P' file... 'BAS2P.exe' seem to trim all lines to 1024 characters!
VB81 include the same codes to run a text file.
http://dskcenter.free.fr/Download/Zxtoken.zip

"ZxToken" is more convenient to create a 'p' file, and run it in "Eighty-one" without typing SAVE"HELLO" in the emulator! (it will create a file in the current selected directory!)
VB81 XuR able to code, fixe and explore basic or asm programs.

But, the VB81 XuR limitation on the ZX81's display routine had to be completed by EO to check this kind of codes.
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

gammaray wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:37 pmDo we have to start a whole new group of RETRO ZED EMULATORS USERS RUNNING ON RETRO WINDOWS CALL ON MODERN LINUX SYSTEMS...
The source for many tools (mine most definitely) is available. Usually vanilla C/C++. Linux native versions are just a GCC away..! 8-)
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

This is the WINE error I get trying run ZXTOOLS...i did install dskcenter and subclassing dll's.

I don't know how to run the "*.JS" files for registry entries. Which may be the problem

Working on install OpenJRE Ubuntu no longer recommends Oracle Java
zxtools fail.png
zxtools fail.png (17.09 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi,
The "*.JS" isn't required for the "visual basic" runtime installation.
In Vb81, it add icons and links 'p' and 'txt' to the main exe file...

Note; Vb81 isn't a compiled java program, you don't have to call it using a Java runtime environment.
The "sub-classing" is only used to setup the riched-text frame in the code.
But, it seem to be a serious problem in Linux!
:
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

VB81 works. Maybe a comparison between that and ZXtools is in order.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

XavSnap - I like your software - but they seem difficult to install.

It would be great if your software was statically linked so it was running without external DLLs and English ones if possible. I had great problems getting VB81 to run, so now I don’t update it anymore. When I need it on a new machine, I copy my working folder.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

But, the VB81 XuR limitation on the ZX81's display routine had to be completed by EO to check this kind of codes.
Xavsnap What does this mean?

If I understood the following:

ZXbasic pulls up the "older" bas2p.exe... So ZXtoken would be used instead.

ZX Draw Does it have another replacement since I have not got it running?
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi
gammaray wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 pm
Xavsnap What does this mean?
Vb81 XuR, was originally coded in Visual Basic, and we had to choose a short-cut to speed-up the display!
The orginal codes was based on the D_File mirroring ... :mrgreen:
A PRINT"A" was intercept and display as a graphic character "A" in the D_File.
All ROM or customs routines are ignored!!!
for example, the Andy Rea's display routine won't work on Vb81XuR !
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2622
:oops:
But, all graphic cards and UDG are using proper emulated device!
And most of IX instruction are redirected to get the true display.
If I understood the following:
ZXbasic pulls up the "older" bas2p.exe... So ZXtoken would be used instead.
Yes, ... or Vb81...
ZX Draw Does it have another replacement since I have not got it running?
Most of ZX81's tools are implanted in VB81!

Just select the "Tools" menu, and "EasyDraw!" window. (on a 16k expended D_File, before a SAVE command)
A jpg or bmp can aslo be digitalized in the "P_Tools" and "Digitalize a bitmap picture..."
You can save the actual screen in a basic file if you select the "*.BAS" attribute!
It will save it in the riched_ZX81 encoded characters code.

"P_Tools" , "D_File tools", "Save current D_File..." and type your "screen_name.BAS".
Vb81 XuR is a funny game, and many tools are hidden and (shift)[ctrl] can be used to find more facilities...
Example, in the "Disassembler" window, you can click on the header to get another read format...

Right click on an opp-code will set this "DATA" to text, "ASCII", "Data" or return to an "ASM mnemonic".
... To disassemble the code using right jump and better conversion to a text file ("save code >target format>tasm mnemonics text format")...

right click, ctrl key (alone), and right click on the last mnemonic to set a group to the right format!

;)