Need for speed - the ROM-patches

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
sirmorris

Re: Need for speed - the ROM-patches

Post by sirmorris »

You bluddy genius :)

Can't wait to see it in the flesh!
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Just tried with the SG81_b.rom CLCKFREQ.P now takes 202 frames !

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy Rea wrote:Yes !!!! I've done it... 20Mhz :D
Incredible! Unbelievable! I am lacking words (in english tounge) to express my absolute enthusiasm about what you achieved!
Does this have any chance to run on a Sinclair mainboard? If not, is someone going to design a motherboard for this?

I happen to have a 20mhz Z80 in my toolbox, as well as fast RAM. What are you using as a ROM?
I would love to buy a 40MHz ULA for running my Zeddy in 20 MHz :ugeek: You quote a price. When will it be ready?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Hi Paul, you could if your willing to make several modifications to the issue 1 board make it work, as for the ULA/other logic trickry prepare for soldering lots of wires...

To run at 20Mhz, the ROM is copied to RAM and then RAM occupies the 0-8K, in fact RAM can occupy all 64K, i have 128K with 8K pages, 16-48K always uses pages 2,3,4,5. 0-8K, 8-16K can be freely assigned any of the 16 pages, also when ram occupies 0-8K it is write protected, but you can still modify it if you really want to, just use the same page in a different memory space (you can have a single page appear in more than 1 memory space) and modify it there...

48-64K when M1 is active (video) then pages 2,3 are used, when M1 is not active you can assign any page.

ultimately i'd like to include a single AY PSG, and with the Expertise of The Mighty SirMorris A ZXpand-a-like SD slot (some difference may be un-avoidable, E.G memory mapping will no longer be controlled by the CONFIG command.)

I'd like to make a PCB, but that is something for the future.

Regards Andy
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

That's great! :D
Congrats,
Zsolt
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
siggi

Post by siggi »

Great work Andy!
Andy Rea wrote: ultimately i'd like to include a single AY PSG, and with the Expertise of The Mighty SirMorris A ZXpand-a-like SD slot
That would probably be a SPI interface and 1 (or better 2) /cardselect signals. That could also be used for MEFISDOS mmc cards :mrgreen:

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

You know what I would like to see? ;)
A demo using a full power of 20Mhz ZX81. I think it would be a killer. :)
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Andy Rea wrote:Hi Paul, you could if your willing to make several modifications to the issue 1 board make it work, as for the ULA/other logic trickry prepare for soldering lots of wires...

To run at 20Mhz, the ROM is copied to RAM and then RAM occupies the 0-8K, in fact RAM can occupy all 64K, i have 128K with 8K pages, 16-48K always uses pages 2,3,4,5. 0-8K, 8-16K can be freely assigned any of the 16 pages, also when ram occupies 0-8K it is write protected, but you can still modify it if you really want to, just use the same page in a different memory space (you can have a single page appear in more than 1 memory space) and modify it there...

48-64K when M1 is active (video) then pages 2,3 are used, when M1 is not active you can assign any page.
So I presume that a latch/register is used to control the bank switching. Is this part of the "40MHz" ULA or separate? If separate, which type are you using? And at what I/O address is it at?
I also presume that on power-up, a slower clock rate is active and the ROM is selected. Code then copies the ROM code to the RAM bank that can (after the copy completes) be switched in to the 0k to 8k of the memory map. Then presumably, a write is made to a memory address and the Zeddy then runs at 20MHz... 8-)

Well, I have an issue one PCB, a 20MHz Z80 and a fast SRAM chip (and lots of wire and solder...). So as Paul says, "You quote a price. When will it be ready?"

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy Rea wrote:To run at 20Mhz, the ROM is copied to RAM and then RAM occupies the 0-8K
At the moment I am (still) experimenting with the STK16C88 Auto Store 32K RAM which is 25ns fast. It is in my (extended, zero insertion force) ROM Socket.
I want to do banking as well and when in 0-8K its write Protected, if it is also (same bank twice) in 8-16k you can modify it ;)
But we should put this in a different thread. I just wanted to state there are fast options without copying the rom on every start... (and thus a mode skipping the copying would be fine ;) )
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

CLCKFREQ.P new record (for me anyway)

frames taken: 194
speed 960.3%
freq 7.68Mhz

this is 20Mhz turbo mode, Wilf's Why wait circuit (coded in the CPLD), and the SG81_b rom as posted by Zsolt.

now then.... how do i get to 1000%...

Regards Andy