High VARS = slower code?

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
Bill H

Re: High VARS = slower code?

Post by Bill H »

I figured it had something to do with the DFILE, now for a naive question, can you have the display inside of your program in an REM statement towards the begining of your code, ie leave space in a big REM for it and then poke DFILE to point at it?

Bill H
alowe

Post by alowe »

Bill H wrote:I figured it had something to do with the DFILE, now for a naive question, can you have the display inside of your program in an REM statement towards the begining of your code, ie leave space in a big REM for it and then poke DFILE to point at it?
Bill H
That's a good question! Does anyone more technically minded know why this wouldn't work?

It's seems so obvious now that Bill has pointed it out, but I haven't seen it being mentioned as a solution. Is there a reason?

On aside I hit a wall of bugs with my new program. I've learnt that writing tons of code then inputting it all at once has it's downside. So I started a new project developing on-the-fly. When I'm brave/mad enough I'll may go back to the earlier one and fix it, which was an Elite clone BTW. The current one is a adventure/dungeon crawl/mining thingy.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Yes, the ZX81's built-in debugger isn't going to help much ;)