Single pixel motion in high res?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
computergui

Re: Single pixel motion in high res?

Post by computergui »

Spinnetti wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:52 am Clearly there's lots I don't understand properly. Buddy Don plugged in a high res routine (not sure which one) in our base game code, and viola! we are creating our next game in high res. No major complications, Don set up the base screen and I made the sprites with little routines to paint our sprites and animate frames. Only hang up is the the high res motion is only vertical - I can move up and down one pixel at at time (192) but horizontally, it still moves in 8bit chunks (32) col instead of 1bit steps (256). Is this just how they all work, or is there a driver or easy to plug in routine that allows single pixel addressing in both directions without having to shift bits across byte boundaries or use pre-shifted graphics etc?

Thanks!
I'm said buddy Don! So, first things first.

The folks in the Sinclair community have been absolutely fantastic with their support. I especially want to call out Paul Farrow for his recent assistance in helping me understand pseudo hi res, as well as his amazing Lightning driver. He put together working examples that just work for my brain. I threw together a few screen examples using all the different HRG iterations. [After discussions with Dave, we decided to use WRX for the current project. I also have a Lightning project in the works as I want to have it work for a larger audience than those that can use WRX. I've been digging through a bunch of sprite examples and I'm getting pretty close. We'll look to move in 2 character segments, meaning 4 iterations of each graphical element. Using an X,Y system simplifies things in my brain for things like movement, collision detection, wall detection, etc. Yea, it's gonna be work, but isn't that half the fun.

I'm sure we'll get stuck a few times along the way, and I'm sure you haven't heard the last of us! And knowing the community, I know you'll continue to help!!!

D
Timex Sinclair 1000 with ZXPand
Timex Sinclair 1500 - 4
Timex Sinclair 2068 -2
ZX Spectrum 48K - 12ish...
ZX Spectrum Plus
ZX Spectrum 128K
ZX Spectrum Plus 2
ZX Spectrum Plus 3
Sinclair QL
ZX Spectrum Next KS 2 (when it lands!)
ZX 48K Spider
ZX Max 128
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Martin,

Thanks, The Dr. cures the ailment! That will work for much of what I want to do. Is it possible to get source so I can use in my games in pure assembly?

Thanks!
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+,Printer
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

dr beep has not provided the source, but a decompile will get you very far. You don’t have to modify the code, just use it.

If you move the code to another location, beware that you also move the hires display file, so you need to find it’s references, and modify them.

My suggestion is that you keep USCII at it’s current location, and build your own code around it.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

sorry,

on the road now. so mo source.

Isn't there a source in the 60 games download?

otherwise.. later tonight.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

dr beep wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm Isn't there a source in the 60 games download?
There seems to be no source in this download viewtopic.php?p=40485#p40485
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

dr beep

Post by dr beep »

A quick look in the source of Blocky.

The graphic is indeed a form that shifts the udg and displays the new graphic.
The left and right movement test if the udg needs to be copied before/after the move.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Thanks Kindly gents, you are a huge help :)
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

mrtinb wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:05 am dr beep has not provided the source, but a decompile will get you very far. You don’t have to modify the code, just use it.

If you move the code to another location, beware that you also move the hires display file, so you need to find it’s references, and modify them.

My suggestion is that you keep USCII at it’s current location, and build your own code around it.
That's exactly what I need. Now to how to isolate that chunk lol. With that, I'd just move it into an include so my code is just the game logic.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I will try to make a source moving a block over a full screen.