to ttl or not to ttl..!

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

to ttl or not to ttl..!

Post by sirmorris »

I've been playing with my userport add-on. The documentation says that the outputs are ttl. Now I always understood this to mean 0 and 5v.

BUT NO!

If you already knew this and are now :lol: at me, then please continue until you are satisfied :D

How can I guarantee a particular voltage level?

Transistor and 2 resistors like this?

Code: Select all

collector to VCC
                /
port>--[====]--K
                \
                 +--- tap VCC here
                 Z
                 Z
                 |
                 emitter to ground through suitable current-limiting resistor

The thing is, I'd like to guarantee 0 to VCC levels. I could use a zener to clamp to a maximum voltage, but it would allow lower ones through. I think the 4050 works this way too?

:?
siggi

Re: to ttl or not to ttl..!

Post by siggi »

I would use TTL chips with open-collector outputs. Your external resistor pulls the voltage to your "high" level (which could be much more than +5V, if you use them as level converters) and the internal transistor pulls the voltage to 0V. Works fine, if you do not draw too much current.

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Aah yes, I didn't think about that :)
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

There are what it is level translator chips that can safety change your logic levels around. The one's I have seen will translate from 5V to 3.3V or back the other way. Can't think of the part numbers, though.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Would that be a 4050?
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

I don't believe the 4050 is a level translator chip. No, what I'm referring to is a type of buffer chip which will take 5V logic levels and convert them to 3.3V logic levels. And I believe they are bidirectional. I would go and check out the Maxim website. Just type in "Maxim" or "Dallas Semiconductor" into your favorite web search engine and navigate to it.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Ah yes I know these devices - If they were available in anything other than uMax and uDFN packaging they'd be usable..! I'm not ready to start hand-soldering packages that tiny ;)