ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
PokeMon

Re: ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Post by PokeMon »

I did send you an PM for this.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

So there were some changes I made in the CPLD - mostly affecting some special features. And there is a change in the ZXblast firmware as I found a bug when using the new firmware with an old USB driver, preventing to update from an old USB driver when doing first update of ZXblast firmware and update of USB driver after. So attached is a further bugfix release with V1.1C.

There is a new feature implemented which has to be activated by software in the next official release but now present for all older ZXblast as well with just a CPLD update. There can be M1NOT activated in future for any standard ZX81 without opening it, cutting wires and solder something. It is just a software solution I worked on. This is quite effectively and offers a new important feature for the future. Already tested out here but I wanted not to turn it on always by default, so it is configurable.

So the chips came in for programming have been delayed a bit to get this fixed and tested out and are now on the way to the ZXblast owner sending chips back for reprogramming. And to not loose the orientation I made some stickers now to see from outside what is inside of the programmed chips. ;)
20170519_182834k.jpg
20170519_182834k.jpg (124.93 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
So here is a short list of what was fixed the last time, complete changelog is in the zip file attached.

Code: Select all

## [V1.1C] - 2017.05
### Added
[+] M1NOT feature prepared in CPLD (need activation in next release)

### Fixed
[-] USB firmware update fixed when using older USB driver (protocol differences)
[-] flash programming fixed for instance 7 (need CPLD update)
[-] RAM paging access allowed for instance 0 (need CPLD update)
[-] programmable RAM/ROM layout for instance 0 for flashing ROM (need CPLD update)
[-] RAM/ROM address area switch-off does not influence instance 0 (need CPLD update)

## [V1.1B] - 2017.04
### Fixed
[-] timing requirements fixed with old hardware
[-] cursor position in directory list fixed on last page
[-] restore instance backup files fixed with no overwrite of ram/rom register saved
[-] flash loader fixed when ZX81 without M1NOT
Attachments
ZXblastV11C.zip
(164.24 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

I just bought a ZXblast from you, silkscreened with v1.1 on the card. No markings on the ROM or CPLD.
What status does that have regarding the CPLD? Does it need to be sent in for an update or not? I do have EEPROM-programming capabilities.
/Adam
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

You have the latest CPLD except the new feature with M1NOT but which is not yet activated by software (just prepared to do so in the next release). I think this upgrade could be made later as well.
So your ZXblast is up to date, I would say. ;)

And the silkscreen does state the hardware pcb version only, nothing software related.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

Great, then I'll just use it until further notice and features :D
/Adam
cypher007

Post by cypher007 »

I bought mine a couple of months back, is it updatable using a file?
cypher007

Post by cypher007 »

its running v0.9, but was just as you were about to release v1.0.
cypher007

Post by cypher007 »

it was sent out 05/04/2017.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

The thing that confuses, if I understood this right, is that the ZxBlast has 3 firmwares.
  • Firmware for USB. Can be programmed with command from LOAD-screen. If this fails ZxBlast has to be sent back, as it requires special hardware to program.
  • Firmware in EEPROM for running ZxBlast software. Can be programmed with P-file. If P-file is not available it can be programmed with a BIN-file in regular EEPROM-programmer.
  • Firmware in CPLD. Has to be sent by mail.
Looking forward I would appreciate just a P-file with a number, that contains both firmware for USB and EEPROM. Then there's no need to focus on which firmware fits together. Maybe if a test for the CPLD-version is in the software as well, it's just a LOAD and RUN.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

Received, driver updated and checked. Everything ok. :D 8-)

Many thanks, PokeMon :D :D