ZX80 ZXPand ROM in ZEsarUX4.1

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

ZX80 ZXPand ROM in ZEsarUX4.1

Post by Paul »

Hello friends
after a long absence in developing for the ZX80 I decided to give a new try.
In 2011 I added ZXPand commands to the ZX80 ROM with much help from SirMorris. This is being sold until today with the ZX80 ZXPand Kit.

I still has a little bug in the CAT routine. Everything is displayed as wanted, but the CLS doesn't really clear all of the screen in case it wasn't empty so remainders stay on the screen which can be irritating.
Therfore I want to correct this error.
In 2011 I was still using windows and pasmo as an assembler and eightyone as test envirnment.
But now I am using linux and needed some kind of testing environment.
I know ZEsarUX from windows earlier this year when I tried out zxuno support. Great.
Today I installed ZEsarUX on my linux machine. It was easy and works good. It also supports ZXPand so I tried out a little.
In ZX80 mode it doesn't load 8K ROMs so the enhanced ROM doesn't work there.
But in ZX81 mode the enhanced ZX80 ROM works fine.

Code: Select all

cp zx81.rom zx81ori.rom    //save zx81 ROM for future use
cp zxpand.rom zxpandori.rom //save zxpand ROM for future use
cp zx80p.rom zx81.rom  // overwrite zx81 ROM
cp zx80p.rom zxpand.rom //ZXPand ROM also overwiritten
start ZEsarUX , choose ZX81 in machine settings, choose ZXPAND in storage settings, there you are!!

can anybody please check if this also works on windows?

Kind regards
Paul
Last edited by Paul on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Re: ZX80 ZXPand ROM in ZEsarUX4.1

Post by Moggy »

Hi Paul.

Have you fixed the other bug I once mentioned as well as the one above when using CAT?

If there are more files than can be listed the "MORE" command appears. But unless you strike the newline key at light speed(which will list the extra files) no other files will be listed when using a normal key-press, only a blank screen.

Best wishes.

Moggy.
Last edited by Moggy on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Hi

ZXpand emulation on ZX80 hasn't been tested much on ZEsarUX; but it really works. You must disable realvideo setting (and autodetect real video) and it works. But it loads the same rom as ZX81+ZXpand. I didn't know there was a ZX80 rom ready to use zxpand. What are the differences of your ZX80 zxpand rom?
I think it could add it on the next stable version.

Cheers
Cesar
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Paul wrote:
can anybody please check if this also works on windows?
It should work, windows version is almost the same as other O.S versions

Cheers
----

ZEsarUX
Paul

Post by Paul »

Moggy wrote:Hi Paul.

Have you fixed the other bug I once mentioned as well as the one above when using CAT?

If there are more files than can be listed the "MORE" command appears. But unless you strike the newline key at light speed(which will list the extra files) no other files will be listed when using a normal key-press, only a blank screen.

Best wishes.

Moggy.
Not yet, I'm setting up my new environment at the moment. Then I will take care of this as well. Thanks for reminding me.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

chernandezba wrote:Hi

What are the differences of your ZX80 zxpand rom?
Cheers
Cesar
The ZX80 does not support /ROMCS so it is not possible to disable the ROM and switch to ZXPand ROM. Instead I made a 8K ZX80 ROM which replaces the 4K original ROM.
The only difference in the lower 4K is the pointer to the command table which is now in the upper 4K. It required more bits to be able to jump behind 4K where the ZXPand commands are implemented. As the original ZX80 supports 8 K ROMs this is no problem. In ZX80 mode the ZXPand does not have a own ROM.
kind regards Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

So when implementing ZX80 ZXPand you don't have to switch between ROMs. Instead just load my 8K ROM at location 0-8K when ZXPand is enabled in ZX80 machine.
My ROM doesn't support any ZX81 command.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Paul wrote:So when implementing ZX80 ZXPand you don't have to switch between ROMs. Instead just load my 8K ROM at location 0-8K when ZXPand is enabled in ZX80 machine.
This is the same I do, when you enable zxpand, I load the zxpand.rom , and you never switch to the original rom unless you disable zxpand.
I will load your rom when machine is ZX80
----

ZEsarUX
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good! I will try replacing only the ZXPand ROM tonight and enable ZXPand in ZX80 mode.
Paul

Post by Paul »

chernandezba wrote:
Paul wrote:So when implementing ZX80 ZXPand you don't have to switch between ROMs. Instead just load my 8K ROM at location 0-8K when ZXPand is enabled in ZX80 machine.
This is the same I do, when you enable zxpand, I load the zxpand.rom , and you never switch to the original rom unless you disable zxpand.
I will load your rom when machine is ZX80
Where do you get the font data from? This is not part of ZXPand ROM.