ZX80 Replacement Cases

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
RWAP

ZX80 Replacement Cases

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone have a design file for the ZX80 case (not the 3D designs on Shapeways)?

For those who have not heard, Djordje MItic is using his position in China to get some new Spectrum cases made (hopefully if he can raise sufficient funds).

A vacuum formed case for the ZX80 might be an option - but he would need to borrow an original case, or at least have a proper CAD file drawing of it to be able to get some pricing.

That said, sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but I fear the cost of the mold alone would be much too expensive...
RWAP

Re: ZX80 Replacement Cases

Post by RWAP »

Maybe we need an idea too of how many cases are needed !
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have stopped hiding my electronics in non transparent cases and have started to make Acryl glass cases for personal use instead.
So no new cases for me I'm afraid.
Also I don't have vacuum made ZX80 cases, only the injected ones. On request I am willing to lend those.

kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

I'd like a replica case, especially if can get a replica PCB that was doing the rounds a while back.

I would say that vacuum forming is likely to cheaper than injection moulding as the tooling tends to be manufactured from wood. This based on a work-related visit to a vacuum-forming company in Stoke a while back. They were able draw up to 6mm easily. Of course the tool is in two parts, the former and then the blade for cutting from the sheet. They also offered tool manufacture services.

Even with case printing, the overall "tooling" process is less than with injection moulding.
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote:I have stopped hiding my electronics in non transparent cases and have started to make Acryl glass cases for personal use instead.
So no new cases for me I'm afraid.
Also I don't have vacuum made ZX80 cases, only the injected ones. On request I am willing to lend those.

kind regards Paul
Thanks Paul - the injected ones should I assume be fine to make a new mould for injection moulding...

If there was enough interest we could maybe look at getting transparent cases made :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Depending on price, I would be after one or two cases.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.