1K Real Chess for ZX80

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
marste

Re: ZX80 porting of Super Micro Chess 1K

Post by marste »

PS: which cursor do you see just after loading the program?
(because in this case the behaviors of the emulators differs)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Moggy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:20 pm
Whenever you press a key to move the cursor it goes whereever it wants to and sometimes with luck it lands on the square you want after hitting the key 5-10 times,when that happens the piece movement seems ok.
This sounds a little bit like the problem I have with my ZX80Pand ROM where multiple key presses take place instead of just one when displaying the "MORE" message :(
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
marste

Post by marste »

@Paul: did you tried on a "standard" ZX80 1K?
(loading from cassette?)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I think the Cursor character should be changed to make it visible on white squares.

I am using standard ZX80 with Zxpand but that should make no difference I would have thought?
Paul

Post by Paul »

marste wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 pm @Paul: did you tried on a "standard" ZX80 1K?
(loading from cassette?)
Not yet I'm afraid. No time... :oops:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

1)
Sorry, didn't thought about it!
There is a way to save default parameters?
(e.g. I think that real video should be always on, and I have also some other preferences as GUI style - ZX80/81 :), speed, etc)
Yes, you can edit a file .zesaruxrc on your home directory with the settings you want. This file is created blank the first time and only read on ZEsarUX versions 4.2 and below. Next 5.0 version (and last betas) can also write settings on that file.

----

2)
Anyway differences doesn't stop here! (and I suspect EightyOne to be more accurate, but I can be wrong not having the real reference)

As for example this file is loading with showing just [K] cursor in ZesarUX while in EightyOne seems not even starting! test1.o

Or this other that again is just giving a normal [K] in ZesaurUX while in EightyOne is producing a "?" followed by [L] and [ S ] cursors: test2.o ...

@Moggy: I know they still do not work, I'm testing the not autorun version ;)
There test1.o and test2.o do load on ZEsarUX. Should they autostart also?
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
marste

Post by marste »

chernandezba wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 am
As for example this file is loading with showing just [K] cursor in ZesarUX while in EightyOne seems not even starting! test1.o

Or this other that again is just giving a normal [K] in ZesaurUX while in EightyOne is producing a "?" followed by [L] and [ S ] cursors: test2.o ...

@Moggy: I know they still do not work, I'm testing the not autorun version ;)
There test1.o and test2.o do load on ZEsarUX. Should they autostart also?
No, as said this is the "no autorun" version. And they not even functioning in term of gameplay, I sent just because they were an example of different behaviours between emulators.

And more, as also said I don't know if it is ZesarUX or EightyOne that emulate the real behaviour... Should someone having a real ZX80 saying in these two example how the real machine reacts!

---

Regarding ".zesaruxrc" which is the parameters to make "Real Video" on? (I was not able to find...)

And, there is some difference (in test program behaviour) between tape and realtape? (seems not to me)

Thank you!
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Regarding ".zesaruxrc" which is the parameters to make "Real Video" on? (I was not able to find...)
--realvideo

(run with --experthelp and you will see all the command line settings available)

And, there is some difference (in test program behaviour) between tape and realtape? (seems not to me)
The two settings are completely different. Tape loads instantly the file, it works by trapping rom calls. Real tape works as a "real" tape, so it loads at a normal zx80 speed, with loading sound, etc
----

ZEsarUX
marste

Post by marste »

chernandezba wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm (run with --experthelp and you will see all the command line settings available)
Got it! :)
chernandezba wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm The two settings are completely different. Tape loads instantly the file, it works by trapping rom calls. Real tape works as a "real" tape, so it loads at a normal zx80 speed, with loading sound, etc
Seems to me that in the case of realtape there should be no reason for the initial displayed screen to be different from real!...

I'm curious. Hope soon to be able to test myself... let's see!

In the meantime good work Cesar!
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Seems to me that in the case of realtape there should be no reason for the initial displayed screen to be different from real!...
Sorry, I don't know what you mean...
----

ZEsarUX