MIDI through the ZXpand-AY joystick port maybe?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Moggy

Re: MIDI through the ZXpand-AY joystick port maybe?

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm Decompiler---- promised.... to think about it.... still thinking mwhahaha.... Actually if you want the samples extracting thats easy.... as for recreating the patterns well thats kinda like playing it without making any noise... and its a long time since i played with that player....

So Mark / SirMorris it would be the Pic doing the bit banging ? if So then maybe it is possible, with the zeddy just instructing the Pic the take file blahblah see if it contains a midi header chunk and if so go ahead and start spitting bits out, until you reach the end or recieve a message to stop.

just my 2p
I knew you couldn't resist Andy. :D

So yes your plan of action for next month is as follows...

A) Show this dense Moggy how to "EASILY" extract just the samples from the tracker/player or whatever.

B) Assist Charlie in whatever capacity to create said MIDI device.

c) Write a nice sequencer nothing flash three channels to begin with like AY cause we're used to that and we'll take it from there.

D) BREATH... :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious point simple note on/off information would suffice as a proto type start.
Things like systems exclusive tends to be superfluous in a lot of cases as some musicians myself being one like to set the parameters on the synths themselves rather than use a systems exclusive bulk dump. A lot of the controller information can be dispensed with such as portamento and bank select etc keeping it to say simple re-verb and chorus select and depth at least as a start.

It sounds a daunting prospect I know and I'm ashamed to admit I don't have your skills to do it but I seem to remember ten years ago somebody on the old TS1000 site showing us a Sinclair ram-pack with an SD card tucked into the top wondering if a working version could ever be produced,look what happened!
Then there was talk of music being made on the zeddy but nay forget it too slow no software, meanwhile two AY units and a tracker/compiler/turbosound player later oh not forgetting some silly bugger down Nottinghamshire way running a zeddy at 20mz.... :ugeek:

There are zeddies with Ethernet function hires this that and the other why not let this year be as good as those past and see if this challenge can be cracked? :D
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

For anyone interested in the possibility of MIDI with the zeddy, the attached PDF may be of interest as it gives schematics etc for creating MIDI interfaces for various 8-bitters.

The ZX81 interface is from page 59 to 64.(edit for accuracy)
Attachments
MIDIProjects.pdf
(18.7 MiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by Moggy on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Moggy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 pm For anyone interested in the possibility of MIDI with the zeddy, the attached PDF may be of interest as it gives schematics etc for creating MIDI interfaces for various 8-bitters.

The ZX81 interface is from page 59 onwards.
Fifty nine pages :shock:
Eighteen megabytes :shock:
I'll have a look tomorrow!

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:17 pm
Moggy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 pm For anyone interested in the possibility of MIDI with the zeddy, the attached PDF may be of interest as it gives schematics etc for creating MIDI interfaces for various 8-bitters.

The ZX81 interface is from page 59 onwards.
Fifty nine pages :shock:
Eighteen megabytes :shock:
I'll have a look tomorrow!

Mark

95 pages in total page 59->64 for the zeddy and in the terrabyte age whats 18 meg between friends unless you're downloading it to a rampack :lol:

Anyway Mark I know once you read it you will make the creation of a new interface your life's work TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYTHING ELSE!!! :twisted: