New ZX printer belt fund

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
TCF

New ZX printer belt fund

Post by TCF »

New ZX printer belt fund on ZXRenew. http://bit.ly/2py5RRH

Rich if this is not allowed please remove.
Paul

Re: New ZX printer belt fund

Post by Paul »

Although I would love to see new ZXPrinter Belts I would be very cautious.
The page doesn't show who they are, where they are located or any legal information.
After the chaos with the vega+ we shouldn't trust anybody who doesn't give any information.
Also Ben Versteeg is developing a ZXPrinter Belt and he isn't asking for pre payment (at least up to now).
By the way, do. they know that there are platforms like Kickstarter etc?
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Trouble is broken belts are not the only reason that 90% of Sinclair's little groan and flash machines are in bits.

Simply put they are a pile of drek,sorry if that offends the collectors sensibilities.

I have half a dozen of the little darlings festering away in a box that never managed more that a dozen "LLISTS" between them and even allowing for Sinclair's attitude to build quality I have to say they look like they were designed and thrown together by an ape.

Say this belt thing gets off the ground will someone then start a fund for the re-manufacture of the silvered paper idiotically chosen as the print media? No thought not though I do have around forty rolls of the stuff in the same box which I guess will never recoup its cost(ebay ebay ebay).

So yes fine for anyone wanting to spend a chunk of cash on something that will be wheeled out occasionally to print a badly smudged "HELLO WORLD" on the half roll of remaining paper they have but what then? A place in the china cabinet with all the other ornaments?

Sorry to say it's Alphcom all the way. Reliable, a tad more legible(just) and fades no quicker than the silver stuff, no stupid belt and styli to worry about and a ready supply of paper.

Like all the other Sinclair outsiders who made the zeddy usable in a fun way(Memotech,Fuller Zonx,and in more modern times SIR MORRIS KARL PAUL SIGGI ANDY and many others.) I would consider the Alphacom more representative of a printer used in a typical zeddy set-up than Clive's lithographic abortion.

Anyhow that's my rant for the week over previous rants,such as,why my big dog Brenda wants to bite those who live in a university city but won't fulfil their MIDI obligations :twisted: , can be downloaded from the BBC's Iplayer.

Moggy now retires to sleep off his weekends scotch intake
Last edited by Moggy on Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

As far as I know, Rich knows Peter Smith, UK located, who already sells the faceplates and key mats produced from "Djordje" over SMR. ;)
http://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/ZXRenew
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Yes, this is a project being run by Djordje Mitic thanks to his close links to some manufacturers in China (where he now lives and works).

After some initial problems setting up a website for selling his faceplates and membranes (and ineptitude when it came to answering emails or sending out orders), Peter Smith in the UK now runs the ZX Renew website and sells his wares through ZX Renew and the SellMyRetro platform. Peter seems to be reliable and good to deal with.

Djordje has already run one fund raising project, to get replacement cases made for the ZX Spectrum and the printer belt seemed a good idea. Kickstarter (and similar sites) just help drive up the prices because of the high cut they take on funds raised.

Personally, I do not believe in Kickstarter / crowdfunding for projects, as it is basically someone saying "I have a great idea. It will cost £x to get off the ground, and could then make me rich. I don't want to risk any money on the project, so I am asking people to chip in and pay money to get the project to market. If, at the end of the day, I change my mind, or cannot get the project to work properly, then that's a risk but what the heck I have not lost anything. If the project does reach the market, then great - you get what you paid out money for, and I can then retire on the profits when it turns out to be a roaring success".

I guess that is just my personal opinion - there are of course projects where the risk is just too great and no business would ever consider putting money into, but the gullible public......