New ZXPand+ not comming on ???

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
tdg8934

New ZXPand+ not comming on ???

Post by tdg8934 »

I just received my new ZXPand+ and I plugged it into my TS1000 where my original ZXPand comes up fine. However, whether there is a SD card in it or not, the green and yellow LEDS flash for a few seconds and then the yellow LED stays on. The screen stays white the entire time. Reset does nothing. Everytime I power it back on, it goes through the same process of LED flashing. I tried the firmware v1.08 also and it doesn't matter.

I was able to upgrade the firmware in my original Zxpand to the Troll one. The sd card reads fine with CAT also.

I also formatted the sd card and put on the v1.08 firmware and if the card is inserted or not still the same results of the flashing leds and ending with solid yellow led. Reset doesnt help at anytime. It's like it is bricked when it arrived. No inverse K just white screen.

What can i do to fix this?

Tim
sirmorris

Re: New ZXPand+ not comming on ???

Post by sirmorris »

Sorry to hear this Tim. It sounds like the PIC has suffered during transit - I've seen this a couple of times. I don't know how but the symptoms are remarkably similar in all cases. I don't know if it's x-ray machines or static or what :(

I will send you a new chip. Do you have the ability to program PICs by any chance? Or are you near a friendly local hackspace? This might save some time.
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Charlie - I think this happened or something similar the first time when I ordered my original Zxpand or perhaps something similar from the U.K. Can't remember the details as it's been a while. I don't have a pic programmer as I mainly used Parallax propeller and Avr boards in the past. Can I tap into the board and fix it any other way? If not, please send me a New chip. Provide me more details if there is any other easier way to fix this. Thank you!

BTW: maybe I should get a PIC programmer for projects, do you have any recommendations for one with good capability? Please send me a new pic chip but I might want to look into getting a pic or other programmer for fun.

Tim
Last edited by tdg8934 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Ah this is very odd... my zxpand+ sometimes sticks with just the yellow led on... pressing the reset button short or long has no effeft,. but usually a power cycle sorts it.

Regard Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:48 am Ah this is very odd... my zxpand+ sometimes sticks with just the yellow led on... pressing the reset button short or long has no effeft,. but usually a power cycle sorts it.

Regard Andy
I have three different issues of the spand and I find a full reset has to be timed with just the right amount of press or the "one light on" do-dah you mention happens for me too.

I regard it as part of its character and would say it's common to most if not all spands. :D
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

There is also a failure mode where only a complete re-flash or replacement fixes it :*( I've seen it a few times, it's (unfortunately) more prevalent in long distance 'spands. I use anti-static packing but I think I might need to up my game in terms of static prevention. It happened to a UK shipped 'spand a few weeks back.
tdg8934

Re: New ZXPand+ not comming on ??? - Fixed!

Post by tdg8934 »

Great news! I tried again the morning with the sd card in with firmware v1.08. I held in on the reset button and plugged power in and after a second or two I saw the leds change sequence, I released the reset button and let the flashing pattern continue a couple of seconds more and it worked! I see the inverse K and ZXPAND+ 1.08 "MOGGY" displayed. I loaded Pacman and it worked and also tried CAT and it functioned normally. It looks like it was in a strange mode and like Andy said just needed the reset but for me I needed to hold in and then apply power.

Now time to look at the manual and try some things out.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hells teeth not the "MOGGY" firmware!!?

I thought that was junked years ago for being like myself an unmitigated disaster. :lol:

(Serious face.)

Glad it's working for you,now the fun begins I know it did for me. :D
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

i'm not at home right now so i can't test anything out however....

After i had switched power supplies from a 35 year old one to a more modern one the yellow light problem is much improved, additional smoothing capacitors near the power input on the zeddy also seemed to reduce the occurrence in addition a missing capacitor on my Spand+ stopped the serial interface from working correctly ( lots of missed or incorrect bits ) i am left wondering if the problem is to do with excessive ripple on the power supply ?

Thoughts ?

anyone? Bueller? Anyone? :mrgreen:

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Andy Rea wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 pm i'm not at home right now so i can't test anything out however....

After i had switched power supplies from a 35 year old one to a more modern one the yellow light problem is much improved, additional smoothing capacitors near the power input on the zeddy also seemed to reduce the occurrence in addition a missing capacitor on my Spand+ stopped the serial interface from working correctly ( lots of missed or incorrect bits ) i am left wondering if the problem is to do with excessive ripple on the power supply ?

Thoughts ?

anyone? Bueller? Anyone? :mrgreen:

Regards Andy
Don't just stand there dribbling boy, get your 'scope out and measure the waveform...
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.