A football management game [ZX80]

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Shaun_B

A football management game [ZX80]

Post by Shaun_B »

Hello ZX80 fanz,

I'm contemplating making a footy management game for the Sinclair ZX80, screen shot of the title screen is below:
footy-zx80.png
footy-zx80.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Regards,

Shaun
gammaray

Re: A football management game [ZX80]

Post by gammaray »

Would that be American Football (Rugby) or European Football (Soccer)?

What do Brit's call Soccer?
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Europeans call 'Soccer' Football, some British people (Liverpool, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne) call it Religion, and most of the rest of us call it Footy.

By the way, Rugby League and American Football are different.

If you want some history of what I'd be making, search the Internet for Kevin Toms and Football Manager.

Cheers,

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun_B on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

The rough flow of the game is planned as:

Pre-season: Accumulate players, training, find sponsors, buy equipment, advertise your new team, play friendlies

In-season: Training, team building for home and away games, advertise games to get supporters, opportunity to buy/sell players, potential for cup run

Post-season: Season review, buy and sell players, sell your team for £££ (end game) or continue with the pressures of Sunday League management (it's tough at the top) to play again if you've broke even

Hopefully I'll manage to squeeze all into 16K of RAM. If not, some of the above will have to be trimmed.

Regards,

Shaun
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I look forward to seeing the results :D
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Does anyone have a good clear screen routine for the 4K ROM ZX80? I've been probing around 0x0747, it seems to return the screen pointer to the top-left.

Thanks,

Shaun
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

sirmorris wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 am I look forward to seeing the results :D
If you want to get a credit in the game, I'll need testers.

Regards,

Shaun
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Shaun_B wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 am
sirmorris wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 am I look forward to seeing the results :D
If you want to get a credit in the game, I'll need testers.

Regards,

Shaun
I will happily test this for you as football manager or any kind of simulation is a favourite of mine and the only current true ZX80 one I can find is Grandstand which I've played to death.(Football Manager for the 80 uses the 81's ROM)

Grandstand is good but flawed in places, for example none of the players are allocated a position so unless you can remember what position Francis Lee for example played in you can end up with a team full of goal keepers and be left scratching you head as to why your attack rating is so low!!! Also the version of Grandstand found on the net has a nasty little bug in it which crashes the whole lot on the last game of the season!!!(now corrected)

If I could offer a few suggestions I would say please don't rely as Grandstand does mainly on the RND generator for results. With Football Manager if you field a strong team then by and large you will win matches with the odd shock result thrown in like real life. Grandstand relies too much on RND for its results and also places too much weight on energy levels, I have fielded 11 Bobby Charltons and lost 15 games on the spin against crap opposition because my energy level dropped 1 point!!!

The moral being make sure every thing is weighted correctly and that the results reflect that and don't rely too much.
on the RND jobby, use it for shock results only.

Sorry to bang on Shaun but as you might have guessed sims are a favourite of mine and the 80 is well suited to such things and I really look forward to seeing this.

Regards.

Moggy.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Welcome aboard Moggy!
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Here's a brief back story:

Sunday League Football Manager by Donkeysoft MMXVII

Build your team and take them from Arsenic Chemicals Ltd 2nd Division to the heady heights of the Arsenic Chemicals Ltd Pro League! Go on a cup run in the Sweet F.A. Challenge Cup sponsored by Batrachotoxin Drinks Co.

Are you up to the challenge of the high pressures of Football Management? As you'll find, it's tough at the top!

Regards,

Shaun