ZXMore development thread

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Shaun_B

ZXMore development thread

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi all,

As the ZXMore (ZX81 mode) is faster than a normal ZX81 (even @ 3.2mhz from the benchmarks) I'm thinking of making a software that will take advantage of the extra processing power. I'm not sure what form it will take yet, and I have at least two projects to get finished first (one should be released shortly). Anyone interested in such a project?

Thanks,

Shaun.
1024MAK

Re: ZXMore development thread

Post by 1024MAK »

Oh yeah :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
olofsen

Post by olofsen »

Sure!
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I think this is interesting, too.
And of course there are some more systems running with higher frequencies - I remember the Uber Zeddy from Andy Rea with about 20 MHz as far as I remember. 8-)

But this maybe just one single pimped system running somewhere in Fast Britain. 8-)
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

One thing I was almost successful with in my 3D programming module was wire-frame stuff... so, this might be a starting point, or maybe I've forgotten all of my linear algebra by now. Who knows?

Another possibility is something like Sim City with lots of activity going on. I also thought about a worker-type game as Shoot was quite good at keeping track of multiple enemy types, so as I'm a better developer now, I might have a look at that engine and see if there's anything that can be recycled.

Regards,

Shaun.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

PokeMon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 pm I think this is interesting, too.
And of course there are some more systems running with higher frequencies - I remember the Uber Zeddy from Andy Rea with about 20 MHz as far as I remember. 8-)

But this maybe just one single pimped system running somewhere in Fast Britain. 8-)

ah yes Still the only 20Mhz Zeddy that i know of, it is my goto zeddy. Manic miner is too fast on it ! however the many clock double enabled Zeddies should be happy running manic miner at 2x normal speed its quite playable.
Shaun_B wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm One thing I was almost successful with in my 3D programming module was wire-frame stuff... so, this might be a starting point, or maybe I've forgotten all of my linear algebra by now. Who knows?

Another possibility is something like Sim City with lots of activity going on. I also thought about a worker-type game as Shoot was quite good at keeping track of multiple enemy types, so as I'm a better developer now, I might have a look at that engine and see if there's anything that can be recycled.

Regards,

Shaun.
Oh my wire frame..... hope it is way quicker than the rotating box i saw at Malherts some years ago, it ran on my Uber zeddy at about 1 frame a second... apparently that was fast ! :lol: :lol:

Anyway Good luck with whatever you decide to write.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi Andy,

I'd pre-calculate where possible and use look-up tables for speed. But maybe you're right; 3D wire frame is a step too far.

Regards,

Shaun.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy Rea wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 am Oh my wire frame..... hope it is way quicker than the rotating box i saw at Malherts some years ago, it ran on my Uber zeddy at about 1 frame a second... apparently that was fast ! :lol: :lol:
I remember this occasion very good as well.
Thomas showed it to me on a normal speed zeddy. I suggested to try it on yours.
When it was running on your uber zeddy I could for the first time recognize that it was supposed to be rotating cube. Before I had only seen lines appear and disappear without any idea what it should be.
On your zeddy it was immediately clear it was supposed to be a box.
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.