ZXpand tape scrape

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

ZXpand tape scrape

Post by sirmorris »

Here's a tool to scrape the contents of a tape to SD card.

LATEST BUILD HERE

It's currently in beta with an unfortunate beleaguered early adopter (sorry Moggy ;¬) but I think maybe a few more people may be interested.

It's a chunk of basic lightly topped with a blob of machine code. The code is loaded directly from a file on the card, which is a new way of doing things AFAIK.

It will loop around, locating and copying programs to memory above 32K, then saving them on the card using their original filenames plus an index. So even if, like me, you only ever saved programs with the name P <cough> then you'll still get all of the programs saved in order. E.G.:

1P.p
2P.p
3P.p

Or if you were a better man than I;

1mazogs.p
2monmaz.p
3funga.p

etcetera, etcetera.

The source is included - it's written in notepad (other lightweight text editing software is available) and compiled using the wonderful zxtext2p. The asm is compiled to a bin file directly using pasmo. A batch file is provided for doing so.

The contents of the output folder is copied to SD, LOAD"LOADER" and away you run. Might I dare to suggest that each tape gets its own folder, which you assign before running the program with CONFIG "D=<foldername>".

Any bugs, improvements, flowers, beer - send 'em this way.

C
Last edited by sirmorris on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy

Re: ZXpand tape scrape

Post by Moggy »

Charlie unlike v2 neither this or v3 works :(
E-mail sent
Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I've deleted the archive as my system test lead has rejected the build.

I'll be posting another soon enough, when the bug has been identified and squished.

Watch this space. In the mean time any suggestions will be welcomed.

C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Here is the final version for now.

Run GO.BAT and you should get LD5.BIN and LDR.P in the output folder.

Copy these to an SD card, and then LOAD"LDR". Run it and play your tape!

If all goes well you should have a number of files saved to the card. File names are taken from tape. To make sure there are no clashes an index number is prepended, then the name is truncated to 8 characters if necessary.

Please let me know of any problems/suggestions/sightings of bigfoot.

C
Attachments
loader5.zip
(394.46 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote:Here is the final version for now.

If all goes well you should have a number of files saved to the card. File names are taken from tape. To make sure there are no clashes an index number is prepended, then the name is truncated to 8 characters if necessary.

Please let me know of any problems/suggestions/sightings of bigfoot.

C
Works like a dream :D :D
Dug out a twenty year old tape with a dozen or so of My progs on it, set the loader running along with the cassette player came back 25 mins later 12 progs all on card all nicely labled :D
( 1p 2p 3p etc I too was an idle sod when it came to naming stuff :lol: )

A Cracking and very useful bit of software Lord Morris,for those of us with a lot of old tape stuff to preserve, more of the same please!

Regards Moggy
Prime

Post by Prime »

Might try that on the one original ZX81 tape of mine that I have, most of them got re-used when I upgraded to a Dragon 32, but I have one that I think still has zx81 programs on it. Heck I managed to get some of my mom's ZX81 code back, cause she never managed to work out how to get saving toi tape to work, so copied everything down in a notepad, I just had to re-type it but I digress.......

Cheers.

Phill.
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

Sir Morris,
Here is the final version for now.

Question I have is can these two files be copied into their own folder and used this way, or should they be out in the open, so to speak? From my interpretation of the LOAD"LDR" statement, it looks like you could do it either way, depending on your CONFIG setting for directories.

Regards,

ksng36
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi,

they can be wherever you want as long as that's the current working directory. The main program will load the machine code from the CWD, which is a little inconvenient.

I think I might make up a new version which is a single file so that you can run it like so:

CONFIG "D=SCRAPED"
LOAD "UTILS/TPSCRP"

In this scenario the scraped files will go into the 'scraped folder'.

C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

... done!

This is V5.1 - It's the previous version with the missing quote fixed and the machine code already in place. If you want to make modifications then you'll need to download the previous zip as this one doesn't include the source.

I can't test it right now so if there's a problem please shout out.

Enjoy!

C
Attachments
tpscrp.zip
(865 Bytes) Downloaded 578 times
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

Many thanks Sir Morris!! Just downloaded the new zip file. I hope to get a chance to use it this soon as I'm taking a four day weekend!! :D

Regards,

ksng36