64 Column Zeddy.... Well maybe...

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Bill H

Re: 64 Column Zeddy.... Well maybe...

Post by Bill H »

Looking great! After you get it perfected you need to get lowercase characters in there.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

That would be easy with my new memory kit where you can change the charset. :mrgreen:
Just to put lower characters instead of the graphic ones.
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

I don't understand the details of the work involved but, couldn't you borrow some ideas from what Timex did with the TS2068, TC2048 and TC2068? These machines all had a special video mode that could be invoked when necessary. The mode changed the resolution to a monochrome 512×192 display. The idea at the time was to allow Sinclair users to use CP/M, but it could be used while using the Spectrum rom too. I remember I used to switch to the high resolution mode using OUT from BASIC, just to experiment with the 64 column display.
siggi

Post by siggi »

BTW: would a greyscale or even colour ULA be possible???
That would need a DA converter, but a 8 bit DA could be made using 8 digital outputs and 8 resistors ...

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
Paul

Post by Paul »

siggi wrote:BTW: would a greyscale or even colour ULA be possible???
That would need a DA converter, but a 8 bit DA could be made using 8 digital outputs and 8 resistors ...

Siggi
The spectrum color mode is without DA converter just having bits for red, green, blue and bright. This could be made compatible to the Lambda color module ...

If the c64 oops, I mean 64C mode would be compatible to the TS2068 512*192 video mode this would be great...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

oops, double post...
Last edited by Andy Rea on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Some more tweakage later... i sat down and counted t-states... And still got it worng :mrgreen: but not by much.... NOT 100% perfect but i can live with that, slight warpage on first line....

Now to have a look at the load/save/plot/unplot/print AT/tab

Remind me whose idea was this 64 column thing :?:

Ah grey scale / colour... well anything is possible, it's juat a case of finding a way to do it :D

Andy

p.s Don't forget this is running at a constant 6.5Mhz cpu clock, and 13Mhz pixel clock ( well 53.2 divided down)
siggi

Post by siggi »

Great work :o
Andy Rea wrote: p.s Don't forget this is running at a constant 6.5Mhz cpu clock, and 13Mhz pixel clock ( well 53.2 divided down)
So a "standard" new ULA could be used (with new code inside) and only a patched rom would be necessary to do this with a normal ZX81? Or is another quartz required for that ULA?

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

i think you would need at least a good ( near 50% duty cycle) 13Mhz at least, i can't do PLL to multiply 6.5 up can only do divides. ROM and RAM need to be able to work at the higher speed, my EEPROM is only just able to do the refresh in time....

and pin 16 of the CPU is bent out so that it misses the socket (INT pin) as R is loaded with values that already have bit 6 reset, so a new INT signal is generated when A6 = low, HALT = low, refresh = LOW, this avoids an int happening early on in the scanline, this is why i was going to leave this little side project because i couldn't at first see a simple way around this problem.

Fast no longer works... Well it does but the display is all over the place, blank lines are generated by waiting for the INT but CPU is already halted near the begging of the line, so we get an INT way too soon.... I'll think about this one....

patchinh the save routine is easy, the load routine not so easy how does one double $9f in a single byte :shock:

I'll think about that too....

Andy
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Andy Rea wrote: Remind me whose idea was this 64 column thing :?:
I am not sure. :lol:
What about the lines ?
If we have 64 columns we need 48 lines too.

Anyway, great work so far ! 8-)