Improving Timex/Sinclair Tape Loading

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
sirmorris

Re: Improving Timex/Sinclair Tape Loading

Post by sirmorris »

OK, ok. Let's make this a community effort. I can't do it by myself.

Things to do: ( :mrgreen: = DONE)

1. Design PCB
* transcribe schematic into a CAD package :mrgreen:
* lay out a board :mrgreen:
* do
* make countless tiny alterations to board :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
* until happy

2. Make a protoype board
* identify components
* adjust layout according to available parts
* optional: return to step 1 to update board
* if a trivial change then skip this step after changes

3. Send board for manufacture
* if count < 10
* use Seeed fusion prototype service
* else
* find another supplier

4. Assemble parts inventory for kits.

5. Make kits.

6. Sell kits.

I am most of the way through part 2. As Lardo B. has parts on order I'll send him a home-made board for stage 2 protoyping. If it works I'll progress stage 3. I may want some cash up front if not using Seeed.

I'll be honest with you, I don't want to do 4, 5 or 6. Also I wouldn't expect anyone to have to do this without $£$ input, so we'll have to come up with a plan to make this happen. This will perhaps work in conjunction with step 6.

Anyone on board? (no pun intended)
scrubber.png
scrubber.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
siggi

Post by siggi »

gammaray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 am But do we have to use batteries... then the power jack "should" be different and an option. :twisted:
I think that batteries are the best solution!
The circuit needs a bipolar power supply ( + and - voltage!), thus an external power supply must have + and - and GND as output or must have an AC output, which could be rectified to + and - inside the box. But then a lot of filtering would be necessary to get such a smooth voltage like coming from the batteries ...

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Points for discussion:

1 / ?
* Should the PCB be sized for a case/enclosure of some sort? If so, which? It's no use specifying a Maplin (UK electronics shop) part if our US friends are to try and find one. I think a box with a PCB holder/slot and room for batteries would be good. I could add a front panel to the PCB layout.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I’m on board. I don’t have a great deal of expertise to add to the mix (having reignited the whole thing :oops: ) but am happy to have a go at assembling one. I still need a couple of bits such as a case and cables (and batteries!) but they are easy enough to get.
I would see if there is a case size that is available both sides of the pond and settle on that. Or one that is very close!

I definitely think this is worth pursuing - if it works as indicated it could save a lot of tape based loading stress. I have a carrier bag full of cassettes (nearly) that won’t load and this may help with that.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Paul

Post by Paul »

OK. Now I am in.
Charlie, could you please change the footprints for input slave and output to use the standard ZX80/81 connector? And a few holes for screws?
I will make a 3D Printed case and offer Pcbs and ready built devices for sale. I don't indend to offer kits. Too much work.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

OK. That makes sense for the production boards. I'll add mounting holes on a .1" grid. Or do you prefer metric, Paul?

Lardo: If you have a BOM from your order could you supply (email/pm) me with it so I can cross-check component sizes with the layout? I'll make a home-made PCB and send it to you when I've adjusted for the actual components that you have.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Inches are fine with me.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

sirmorris wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm OK. That makes sense for the production boards. I'll add mounting holes on a .1" grid. Or do you prefer metric, Paul?

Lardo: If you have a BOM from your order could you supply (email/pm) me with it so I can cross-check component sizes with the layout? I'll make a home-made PCB and send it to you when I've adjusted for the actual components that you have.
I will send what I have later on.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Dim_75

Post by Dim_75 »

Hi all,

On my side I wasn' t able to make a good PCB, i still stuck on schematic transcription issues so i am happy that sirmorris did it succesfully !
(i really need to find some documentation like "PCB Design for Dummies" ... :( )

I like the remarks from gammaray about the plugs for IN/OUT, if easy to do.

Thank to the 'PRO' (Paul, sirmorris...) giving a boost on this usefull project
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

CAD is something of a black art - there are very few tutorials. I have been working with Eagle since 2008 and I still have to find help sometimes :shock:

Don't be disheartened - keep at it! It's a very useful skill.

C