Vanishing CRTs and ZXmores...

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
dessony

Vanishing CRTs and ZXmores...

Post by dessony »

Vanishing CRTs... It will happen gradually to us. And parts for these CRTs, especially their own H.O.T.s and flyback transformers, will be harder to find as time goes on. So, I decided to order a AV/BNC to VGA video converter online. Its model number is 7503W. I hooked it up to a flat panel TV with its VGA cable and its AV cable. I tested the video converter with my own available TS1000/ZX81 computers. These computers' characters are sharper on the flat panels TV's screen than CRTs! :D :lol:

However, I tried the abovementioned video converter and the flat panel TV with a ZXmore, I noticed the ZXmore's characters are sharper on the horizontal section but not vertical section! The vertical section is "vibrating like crazy". I tried NTSC and PAL on the ZXmore, no change! I also tried a "double shift one pokes", no change! The "black square with white "K" was vibrating vertically. I was not sure about adjusting the flat panel TV's vertical hold.
1024MAK

Re: Vanishing CRTs and ZXmores...

Post by 1024MAK »

I have not tried my ZXmore with a converter, but I do use it with a LCD TV via the composite video connection. And I don't get any problems.

I have a composite video to VGA converter, I will give it a try sometime.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

dessony wrote: I noticed the ZXmore's characters are sharper on the horizontal section but not vertical section! The vertical section is "vibrating like crazy". I tried NTSC and PAL on the ZXmore, no change! I also tried a "double shift one pokes", no change! The "black square with white "K" was vibrating vertically. I was not sure about adjusting the flat panel TV's vertical hold.
Interlacing/timing problem with a specific monitor?
Last edited by gammaray on Wed May 11, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

dessony wrote: I tried NTSC and PAL on the ZXmore, no change! I also tried a "double shift one pokes", no change! The "black square with white "K" was vibrating vertically. I was not sure about adjusting the flat panel TV's vertical hold.
Did you try to start ZXmore with the ROM switch in position 1 (ZX81) rather than selecting it by software ?
Could you post pictures ?
dessony

Post by dessony »

I have a 19" LCD TV. Its brand name is Insignia (Best Buy Brand). Its model number is NS-19E320A13 Rev. A (June 2012). That TV is now discontinued by the Best Buy store( in the USA).

With the CRT, I can touch the vertical hold knob. But not the abovementioned LCD TV!
Double Shift 1 Result.JPG
Double Shift 1 Result.JPG (89.08 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
ROM Switch Result.JPG
ROM Switch Result.JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 3202 times

Code: Select all

10 FOR A = 1 TO 32
20 PRINT "-";
30 NEXT A
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Is this NTSC or PAL ?
There maybe an issue with some TVs if they have very strong timing requirements, not sure. :?
Which software release do you have installed on ZXmore ?
dessony

Post by dessony »

NTSC. How do we determine what last software release was installed on ZXmore? The last time it was installed, it was a NTSC bug which you successfully smashed it for me. :lol:

I will test ZXmore and any available TS1000 / ZX81 computers and how they work with CRTs and LCD TVs while these computers are saving or loading some programs with some audio cassettes. Also "FAST" and "SLOW" commands. Just out of my own curiosity.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

dessony wrote:NTSC. How do we determine what last software release was installed on ZXmore? The last time it was installed, it was a NTSC bug which you successfully smashed it for me. :lol:
Just press double shift R in instance 0 or hold shift key while pressing reset button.
This will bring up the start screen with version number. ;)
dessony

Post by dessony »

Rev. 1.7 12/2015
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

There are some things changed which could affect timing - I have this in my mind.
Please try the update to release 1.8, you can find the latest release here:

http://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1832

This is by the way tested for NTSC as well.