Another ZX80 Rescue

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RWAP

Another ZX80 Rescue

Post by RWAP »

I have now acquired a ZX80 which is not in too bad condition - bit of yellowing and the inevitable cracks on the case (though no bits missing).

The ZX80 is an issue 2 board and looks OK, but oddly has a ceramic ROM chip (2SP32-65JDN with a date code of 8012)

On power up I didn't get an image from my old colour CRT (nothing too unusual), but the Z80 got rather hot. I have swapped that and get a white screen - but no response to pressing any keys.

I did try swapping the ROM for an EL-2364 with ZX80 ROM image, but that made no difference.

Oddly none of the W buttons were in place suggesting someone has taken it apart in the past. I have to admit the soldering looks a bit suspect on C10 and the bottom left pin on both IC7 and IC11 seems to be just pushed through the hole in the PCB (probably soldered underneath OK though).

Does anyone fancy the challenge of bringing this one back to life ? :D
MaFli

Re: Another ZX80 Rescue

Post by MaFli »

RWAP wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am Does anyone fancy the challenge of bringing this one back to life ? :D
Wouldn't mind giving it a try. Unless someone else with more experience wants to give it a try. I have the tools and equipment.
And all the parts needed to build one from scratch. Had to buy these anyway as my ZX80 PCB should arrive any day now! But that is another thread...
And I can give it a Retr0bright treatment if you want :-)
MaFli

Post by MaFli »

Oh, and are the chips socketed? I have a logic 74xx tester here.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Alas all of the logic chips are not soldered... 1024Mak is going to have a look - at least he can compare my issue 2 board, with his beaten up one!