Hello, new member, trouble building ZX80 :)

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
zeddex

Re: Hello, new member, trouble building ZX80 :)

Post by zeddex »

Hello Mark, pin 20 looks nothing like compared to the real '80
Real
Real
pin 20 (2).jpg (114.52 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Clone
Clone
pin 20 (1).jpg (102.47 KiB) Viewed 2272 times

Not sure if the clock looks quite the same either. It didn't used to have that little "lower" edge - not sure if that's normal?

Real
Real
pin 6 (2).jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Clone
Clone
pin 6 (1).jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
I almost had a working clone previously, it's got to be a failed component or short... shurely :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The clock on pin 6 looks fine. With the /IORQ pin high (and not pulsing low), you will not get a screen displayed.
Either the CPU is running garbage instead of the correct code from ROM, the RAM is defective, one of the control circuits that controls ROM or RAM has a fault, or the Z80 has not been correctly reset.
Or there is a connection problem somewhere. If you have not done any more soldering, it's less likely to be a short.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zeddex

Post by zeddex »

Update - back to square one, but better than being at square -1!
  • Reflowed all connections, cleaned thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol - no change.
  • Removed & checked all logic with my TL866 EPROM programmer's tester - all passed (assuming the logic testing function is accurate.)
  • Tried alternative Z80 - success!
Unbelievably, it seems I've killed yet another Z80. :shock: I guess somehow amongst the probing and general frustration I zapped it with static or too many volts. Luckily I have a reasonably large supply of Z80s...

So I still have mad flashing inverse characters but it does at least function now as it did in OP.

When I get time I will thoroughly follow the video circuit with my scope and compare them on seperate channels with the Real '80. The issue is still "resolved" by touching the capacitor leg with the oscilloscope probe.

Also, is C15 supposed to be 220pF or 47pF? My real one has 220pF but parts lists I've found say 47pF.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Mine has a 220pF for C15, as does another ZX80 that I am repairing.
In practice, it may be that the value is selected depending on the type of 6.5 MHz resonator fitted (X1).

CMOS Z80s will be at risk from static discharge. NMOS chips can also be killed by static.

Be very careful when probing about, if you short between two pins, the outcome is likely not to be good.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
MaFli

Post by MaFli »

zeddex wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 pm Also, is C15 supposed to be 220pF or 47pF? My real one has 220pF but parts lists I've found say 47pF.
Mine is 220pF as well. And used that in my clone as well. Only the US version has a different value according to the ZX80 Assembly Manual. But if you see a steady clock you should be okay.

http://www.retroisle.com/sinclair/zx80/ ... mbly_7.php