Has anyone been sucessfull interfacing ZXmore with ZXPand or ZXPand+ ?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
tdg8934

Re: Has anyone been sucessfull interfacing ZXmore with ZXPand or ZXPand+ ?

Post by tdg8934 »

At the store getting groceries but can check in an hour or so when I get home.

I do know it will not display anything right (with ZXPand not connected) if A3 jumper is not connected.
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Ok I did as you asked and unplugged the ZXPand. The A3 jumper is not connected. The 10k resistance is between A3 and 5vdc. The SST chip pin 2 (A16) is connected to pin 16 (Vss). The Blue LED is on and the screen is white for a few seconds and then it goes to the inverse K like s regular zx81 would look like. Didn't think I needed a picture of that.

What I noticed under these conditions above with the ZXPand or ZXPand+ plugged in, as seen in the last picture sent, you can see the ZXPand verbiage at the top and perhaps the inverse k at the bottom but the screen is out of sync and unusable.

Karl - as not to spend too much time while troubleshooting with you, please pm me or whatever is needed so I can order (2) of these rotary switches.

Tim
Attachments
IMG_1270.JPG
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 485 times
IMG_1269.JPG
(4.3 MiB) Downloaded 486 times
IMG_1268.JPG
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 486 times
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Karl,

I see that you updated one of your posts stating I'll need a new CPLD. Please contact me ASAP so I can get it and rotary switches. I would like to have this ready for next months Vintage Computer show in the Chicago area.

Thank you for your support!

Tim
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Karl,

I received the updated CPLD and inserted it. When connecting pin 2 of the other chip to pin 16(gnd) and A3 jumper disconnected with 10k resistance (as stated earlier) on A3 pin to 5vdc, I plugged in ZXPand+ and it came up beautifully with the inverse K and correct version info at the top. Tonight I'll disconnect the chips pin 2 to pin 16 and solder in the switch. Great job!

Very happy to have ZXPand+ working with ZXmore.

Also ZXPand (classic) works the same with ZXmore.

Tim
Last edited by tdg8934 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

I soldered in the rotary switch (inserted new programmed CPLD) and I was able to get both the ZXPand (classic) and ZXPand+ to come up fine. As long as the 10k resistance is soldered in from A3 to +5vdc and the A3 jumper is not set (not jumpered) AND the rotary switch is not in the Zero position or mirror, the the ZXPand and ZXPand+ will come up fine in a ZXmore board.

If the rotary switch is in position zero, the Screen loads a HR font mess as pictured earlier in the post thread. I also noticed 1 game pacman.p (HR) game came up with moving HR screen filled with a similar screen to what a old TV looks like with out a picture. Ant races.

Other than that results look good.

First picture shows what it looks like in position 0 for the rotary switch. Switch it to 1 or higher for normal ZXPand screen.

Tim
Attachments
IMG_1264.JPG
(5.85 MiB) Downloaded 428 times
IMG_1286.JPG
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
IMG_1285.JPG
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

When the ZXpand is in use, the Z80 CPU runs the code in the ZXpand. But still gets character data from the ROM in the computer. However, with the switch in any position that does not select a ZX81 ROM, the part of the ROM that the system gets character data from may not actually have the character data. Instead you get machine code instructions shown on screen in binary... hence the messy screen.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Won't a USB/SDcard adapter work to get files off SD onto ZXmore?

What other advantages exist in attaching ZXspand? CAT? Compatibility for those who only have ZXmore? AY?

Charles
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

One thing I would like to see on ZXmore is something like a ZXPand CAT command so I can see a list of files on the USB drive. Currently I have to write down on paper all the p files on the ZXmore USB.Also unless I find a Zonx sound board, I have to use the ZXPand.

As an Engineer I'm having fun thinking of new ways to play with the Zx81/Ts1000 and new technology.

Both Zxmore and ZXPand/ZXPand+ are great! They complement each other well.

Btw: I just ordered a raspberry pi to learn that with time.

Tim
siggi

Post by siggi »

tdg8934 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 pm One thing I would like to see on ZXmore is something like a ZXPand CAT command so I can see a list of files on the USB drive.
ZxBlast already has an early version (buggy) of a file explorer (showing files and sub-directories on USB drive). I think that Karl wil port that explorer also to ZxMore ...

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

That sounds promising Siggi. Thanks.

Hey what about the ZXPand (Menu.p /Cmdr.p) {what's the difference between them?}

Would either of those work with ZXmore (without ZXPand)?

Tim