Zxmore black screen

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Zxkim81

Zxmore black screen

Post by Zxkim81 »

Hi all
I got the zxmore board from Pokémon and I must say that the board and contents are second to none.
My son has built the board and when he told me he couldn't get it to work I had a look.
He has a trace missing where the 47pf cap is on pin 4of the clock and the via. He has also lost the pad at is it c34 ?
So the computer is just a black screen the led is not working properly and I am at a loss.
I wonder if I send the board back to Pokémon would be sort it out for my lad as this was his birthday present and is heart broken
And I would pay him for the inconvienience. He has really tried with this build
rune

Re: Zxmore black screen

Post by rune »

Hi, I may have the same problem as you with the ZXMore. I get a black screen with a narrow white/grey line that slopes from the right down towards the left.

I've posted in Pokemons Q&A topic here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1833&p=27113&hilit=zxmore#p27113

Hopefully its an easy fix.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Well - try to send pics first to my email info@ginger-electronic.com of the board, best high resolution from both sides. About the lost tracks and pads - I am unsure what is meant, please do some zoom on the special areas you mean. And of course you could always send me the boards back to check, I will not charge for my work just the postage back to you when repaired or get run.

I am not sure if it is the same problem with rune as a black or white screen can have dozens of reasons at the end. Lost pads doesn't sound that good. There a few kits already completed by customers without problem and myself did a series of 5 boards with no problem. Just the last one where I accidently used a 74HTC166 instead of HCT165 took me a few hours to find the mess. All others did run from the first try. So it is not a general problem. ;)
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Got that board run from Kim. Restored the two lost tracks on the board and placed the missing 47pF on the backside and finally had to change the accidently delivered 74HCT166 against the required 74HCT165. Now it runs fine. 8-)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

PokeMon wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 pm Got that board run from Kim. Restored the two lost tracks on the board and placed the missing 47pF on the backside and finally had to change the accidently delivered 74HCT166 against the required 74HCT165. Now it runs fine. 8-)
That's good news :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.