New home for my ZX80 replica...

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
MaFli

New home for my ZX80 replica...

Post by MaFli »

After I finished re-drawing the PCB of the ZX80 in a previous thread, it was time for a new home. No, I'm not selling it :D I wanted a replica enclosure. Recently I got a new 3D printer with a larger bed than my other one, so time to print one! Thanks to the 3D model from Markus I was able to print a case that snugly fit around the PCB!

A few artefacts here and there, but nothing serious. Sandpaper is my best friend :-)

So here he is in his full glory next to the original! I already have the rivets, so the last will be to add decals. I found waterslide water decals (Google it...) that will hopefully do the job.

ZX80_3D_1.jpeg
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 545 times
ZX80_3D_2.jpeg
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 545 times
ZX80_3D_3.jpeg
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 545 times
sirmorris

Re: New home for my ZX80 replica...

Post by sirmorris »

Bravo!

That looks great.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

What material did you use, PLA or ABS? Also, which slicer? Planning to do the same with the Marcus files on my printer. May even go the extra mile and do a vacuum formed case.
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
MaFli

Post by MaFli »

Hi mhudson52,

I did use PLA/PHA and Simplify3D as a slicer. PLA/PHA is slightly less brittle. But I am in the process to redraw the enclosure. Even though this model fits quite ok, it is not accurate to the last millimeter... (Sorry Markus, I have slight form of OCD :-) ) I am also working on a mould for vacuum forming. And working on a vacuum former as well. Do you have one?
Paul

Post by Paul »

To anybody working on the markus8008 design of the bottom case:
The fingers on the front where the keyboard is supposed to be lying on have to be moved a little to the front edge. Together with the connecting line because the diodes for the keyboard are touching the line connecting the fingers.
Sorry I am not very good at explaining this.
Please confirm if you understand what I try to say. I would like to be able to change this myself but I am just learning to use the program.
Also the front line for the rubber (from the underside) should be deeper because it is difficult to find rubber that thin.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Hey MaFli. I haven't reached that point yet with all the things around here vying for my attention. I have looked at a bunch of YouTube videos and building the box, etc. for the vacuum mold apparatus looks pretty easy out of common materials.

I have only been aware of this forum since less than a year ago, and I am constantly realizing that a lot of my ideas have already been explored by others here like yourself. In light of this, I don't want to intrude on anyone's projects that are already ongoing but as yet undiscovered by me.

On the flip side, if there is any way that I can be of assistance to the efforts of others I will be happy to lend a hand in any way possible.
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian