AY module and zeddynet on ZXmore

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
z3dm4d

AY module and zeddynet on ZXmore

Post by z3dm4d »

Okay, I am new to the ZX world. I haven't bought any ZX80/81 gear yet. I'm looking to make sure I am buying the right parts first. The machine is going to be the ZXmore offered by "Pokemon" at SMR. A masterpiece design. I don't know if I can get one, but I'd like to lay my hands on a zeddynet also. The place were I don't quite understand what to get, is when the AY modules comes in. I can find them on SMR with a black case. And they are the ZXpander+AY. Since this is the ZXmore, do I really need the ZXpander? Can I find an AY addon by itself? Also, how do you connect the AY and Zeddynet to the machine at the same time? Does this require a bus expansion?

And the ZXmore can save to the usb flash, right? What are the file differences between flash on the ZXmore and the ZXpander? I read about files with the .p extension when the ZXpander is mentioned. Are these not usable without the ZXpander?

Like I said, I am pretty new here.

Any info you have would be great. Aside from my questions, I want to thank both the users and developers alike for supporting with wonderful device. I really hope to be spending a lot of time behind one of them.
Last edited by z3dm4d on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWAP

Re: AY module and zeddynet on ZXmore

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forum. Both the makers of the ZXmore and ZXpand are on here, so will no doubt cover your points in more detail.

There are no actual AY interfaces listed on sellmyretro.com at the moment (just a couple of cases for the ZXpand and an upgrade GAL for the MrX Sound Interface). The ZXPand+ has replaced the original ZXPand and now has a built in AY sound chip and joystick port (previously you needed the ZXpand + ZXpand-AY Sound Module for this).

Both the ZXpand and the ZXmore can ready .p files downloaded from the internet.
Paul

Post by Paul »

For the ZX more a ZXPand (+) isn't necessary.
The ZX more can load . P files from USB.
I can supply you with Zeddynet and AY Board.
Both as Pcb, kit or ready built.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

ZXmore and ZXpand are different concepts. ZXpand is an add on for a usual ZX81 to load/store files from/to sd card and has an option for direct AY module (maybe the newer modules contain already AY chip from factory setup, not sure). ZXmore is a complete Z80 mini computer compatible with ZX80 and ZX81 and probably able to start CP/M one time ... it's focus is not on gaming like ZXpand. File LOAD/SAVE is done with USB and not SD card. ZXmore offers some special features for programmers or software developers on Z80 basis. You can start more than one instance, can backup running programs directly.

There are AY modules external that can be used (Mr.X, not sure if still for sale) and ZeddyNet works with ZXmore as well. So you have the choice what to do.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The AY I can sell is a Mr. X
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
z3dm4d

Post by z3dm4d »

RWAP wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm Welcome to the forum. Both the makers of the ZXmore and ZXpand are on here, so will no doubt cover your points in more detail.

There are no actual AY interfaces listed on sellmyretro.com at the moment (just a couple of cases for the ZXpand and an upgrade GAL for the MrX Sound Interface). The ZXPand+ has replaced the original ZXPand and now has a built in AY sound chip and joystick port (previously you needed the ZXpand + ZXpand-AY Sound Module for this).

Both the ZXpand and the ZXmore can ready .p files downloaded from the internet.
They are very prompt in reply, as are you. Thanks!
z3dm4d

Post by z3dm4d »

Paul wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 pm For the ZX more a ZXPand (+) isn't necessary.
The ZX more can load . P files from USB.
I can supply you with Zeddynet and AY Board.
Both as Pcb, kit or ready built.
Kind regards Paul
I am interested in both boards, and hoped that they were available here.
I have a lot to learn, but my goals require both of those boards.
z3dm4d

Post by z3dm4d »

PokeMon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm ZXmore and ZXpand are different concepts. ZXpand is an add on for a usual ZX81 to load/store files from/to sd card and has an option for direct AY module (maybe the newer modules contain already AY chip from factory setup, not sure). ZXmore is a complete Z80 mini computer compatible with ZX80 and ZX81 and probably able to start CP/M one time ... it's focus is not on gaming like ZXpand. File LOAD/SAVE is done with USB and not SD card. ZXmore offers some special features for programmers or software developers on Z80 basis. You can start more than one instance, can backup running programs directly.

There are AY modules external that can be used (Mr.X, not sure if still for sale) and ZeddyNet works with ZXmore as well. So you have the choice what to do.
I apologize, as I originaly referred to you as "nedo". I have edited it.

The development aspect of your machine is exactly what I am looking for.
z3dm4d

Post by z3dm4d »

Thanks for the fast replies, everyone.