Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by MunichSpec »

Here is the PC tool:
mdv2img.exe.zip
(62.8 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
and this is the (repaired) Microdrive cartridge image it produces:
CARTRIDG.repaired.MDR.zip
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
. This essentially proves, that everything works in Gerton's WinZ80.

However, things are quite different in EightyOne. When I mount the original CARTRIDG.orig.MDR, connect the IF1's RS232 port to a file (say if1_out.txt) and run mdv2img.tap, lots of checksum errors are reported. The configuration is like this:
EightyOne.Configuration.png
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
and the result looks like this:
EightyOne.Result.png
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
The resulting dump (
if1_out.txt
(19.09 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
) is just 19'548 bytes long and it's pretty clear that the complete cartridge can not be successfully recovered from it.

I'm a bit out of luck here and just guess that EightyOne probably doesn't emulate low level Microdrive access from machine code very well. There are a lot of INIR commands involved (as you can see in mdv2img.z8a, starting from label GET_M_HD) and this might be the tricky part.

I don't know if you are that much into Z80 machine code and IF-1 interna - but if you have the time and interest to investigate this issue, it would be my pleasure to help wherever necessary.

Thank you very much!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

marste wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:32 pmRegarding symbol instead I don’t understand how to load the .sym file: I have all files .p or .o with the corresponding .sym file and in No$Zx the symbols are loaded and displayed automatically, but is not the case of EightyOne… How to load the .sym file or maybe is a matter of format? (I attached an example of what is loaded in No$Zx)
_Stefano
In order to use the existing symbol store you would drag-and-drop the symbol file onto EO during use. I know this is ugly and inconvenient. Also the symbol file format was of my own design and it turns out incompatible with most assemblers/debuggers out there ;) As it stands you need to specify symbols like:

Code: Select all

SYMBOL ADDRESS
SYMBOL ADDRESS
Where address is 4 hex digits.

You can type a symbol name in any input box that accepts addresses. The symbol browser button on the debug window pops open a list of available symbols. Right-clicking a symbol gives options to look at memory or add breakpoints at the appropriate address.

I'm in the process of adding the feature you requested where loading a P file will also load a symbol file if one is present. So far I've only added the feature to the ZXpand file system emulation because I know this well and it seems a good place to start. I should also be able to do something with the drag-and-drop file load feature, and perhaps TZX in the far future but I generally avoid TZX because it's ugly and largely irrelevant for the '80 and '81.

I'll also eventually migrate the symbol format to that of NO$, as this is what is exported from a number of assemblers.

Code: Select all

PAGE:ADDRESS SYMBOL
PAGE:ADDRESS SYMBOL
where page and address are both 4 hex digits.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

MunichSpec wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:52 amI don't know if you are that much into Z80 machine code and IF-1 interna - but if you have the time and interest to investigate this issue, it would be my pleasure to help wherever necessary.
Hi there.

I've been known to do a little Z80 from time to time. I don't do Spectrum however. I'll have a little look and if there's anything obvious then I'll see what I can do, but to be honest my gut tells me that this looks like it would be an absolute stinker.

C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

EightyOne V1.8 available now!

Updates symbol support for the debugger - read the release notes.

C
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

well well what can i say.... are you planning a party for V2.0 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to SirMorris and Paul for their continued work

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I'm thinking of profiling tools. Perhaps some kind of 'logic analyser' display, that shows system events like Vsync, video frame time, things like that. Plus some way of letting the current program indicate events, perhaps by monitoring a memory address, that will show on a display something like this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.84 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
(this is from a logic analyser - I haven't implemented anything yet)
Paul

Post by Paul »

I downloaded Eightyone 1.8 which runs good.
Just a short question:
Is it possible on a real ZXPAND+ to disable WRX? Or the ZonX?
Your guess is right. I had ZXPAND on in Eightyone and forgot to also check these boxes. So Commander was giving ugly screens when displaying a BMP.
Could you please enable WRX (and possibly also ZONX) them when ZXPand(+) is switched on?
Just because I forget to do so :oops:

Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

This is a good idea Paul. I have thought of it before but didn't implement it. I shall see if there was a reason why..! ;)
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

As default settings when you check the zxpand box yes... but must retain the ability to change the settings... for example original zxpand with no sound chip, UDG board over-riding wrx.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy Rea wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm As default settings when you check the zxpand box yes... but must retain the ability to change the settings... for example original zxpand with no sound chip, UDG board over-riding wrx.

Regards Andy
Indeed. There is no reason to disable the checkboxes in case ZXPand is on. Its just a default setting when switching ZXPand on. Thats all.
There is also no reason to deactivate them when deactiviating ZXPand.
Its only for stupid users like me :oops: who, after activating ZXPand, expect EO to behave as if it would really be plugged in
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.