ZX80 with 8K ROM... and SLOW mode!

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
Spirantho

ZX80 with 8K ROM... and SLOW mode!

Post by Spirantho »

Hi everybody,

I just got an interesting one in...

I knew it was an upgraded ZX80 because of the keyboard overlay, but this one uses SLOW mode and FAST mode too! I wondered why it had ZX81 games with it (including two pre-hi-res Software Farm games and 3D Monster Maze).....

There's a board attached to the bottom of the main board which has various wires connected to the main board. There are a few cut tracks on the main board too. The extra board has "Rev. A" written on it.

Has anyone seen this before?
Ian Gledhill
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for all your retro-computing needs (especially Sinclairs!)
Paul

Re: ZX80 with 8K ROM... and SLOW mode!

Post by Paul »

I have seen this often.
I also have some NMI boards here (untested) to "enhance" ZX80s.
But as the value of the ZX80 will be much less when being modified it would be good only for replicas.
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Come now Paul - it's not about the commercial value, is it ;) :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

As ZX81 and its replica are easily avalable at very low prices it would be a shame to modify a ZX80 in a way it's no longer capable of doing "real" ZX80 things.
As I love ZX80s and their (limited) capabilities it hurts me to see anybody abusing a ZX80.
The nmi boards are available at shipping cost only from me in case anybody would be interested.

I hope abuse is a proper word to express my feelings about this. If not I apologize. I'm not a native speaker.
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Paul wrote:As ZX81 and its replica are easily avalable at very low prices it would be a shame to modify a ZX80 in a way it's no longer capable of doing "real" ZX80 things.
As I love ZX80s and their (limited) capabilities it hurts me to see anybody abusing a ZX80.
The nmi boards are available at shipping cost only from me in case anybody would be interested.

I hope abuse is a proper word to express my feelings about this. If not I apologize. I'm not a native speaker.
Kind regards
Paul
As I get the feeling that you may feel surrounded, let me say that I understand what you are saying.
It is of course up to the owner of a ZX80 to decide, but if I had a good condition ZX80, given that I have a number of ZX81's (an example using each of the three different issue ULA's) and a ZX80 Core, I would not modify it to fit a NMI generator.

However, I do have a ZX80 that currently is faulty and which has already been modified (second EPROM soldered on top of the "existing" ROM or EPROM plus other modifications). Also the case has been modified and is in poor general condition. When I get it working, I may tinker with it.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I an fortunate enough to have a ZX80 in excellent condition,and the only mods I have are a switching regulator to stop it becoming a toaster and the new EPROM from Paul so I can use it with the ZXpand as I got fed up of waiting eight minutes for grandstand (Football manager rip-off) to load. :D