Computer History Museum

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
gus

Computer History Museum

Post by gus »

Hi,

I like to know if some of the member the forums lives near the Computer Histoty Museum on the UK. (www.computinghistory.org.uk)

I like to do some research on the Ferranti Mercury II Computer and the only place on the world that I know there are copies of the manuals is on that very nice place. The only problem is that I live on Argentine :(

Gus
sirmorris

Re: Computer History Museum

Post by sirmorris »

I work with them from time to time. What is it that you need?
gus

Post by gus »

sirmorris wrote:I work with them from time to time. What is it that you need?
Wow I must imagine that. I discovered the museum (the web site) some months ago and I really enjoy the time that expend on that place. Maybe in a future I can travel to England and see all this things on person :)

Here in Argentina in the year 1960 El Instituto de Cálculo de la Universidad Universidad de Buenos Aires
bought from Ferranti a Mercury II computer, here the people called this little baby Clementina

We are celebrating the 50 anniversary of the Clementina's arrival and the consolidation of the Instituto de Cálculo, you can find more info on this link http://www.dc.uba.ar/events/cincuenta (Spanish)

So, I like to start working on a Ferranti Mercury II emulator (a simulator in fact), and searching the WEB i discover that the manuals are on the Computer History Museum (UK). I sent a mail asking for this info and a man called David tells me that they do not have digital copies and at present they don't have any volunteers to do the task, he tell me too that if I like, I can go to the museum and make digital copies of the material that they have. The problem is that I live a little far to go :(

You are the indicated person to review the manuals and know witch parts are of interest for a Simulator programmer :roll: So if you think that you can help me with that, please send me a email (gdeldago AT gmail)

Yours,
Gus
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Gus
Is this of any use?
Regards
Moggy

AUTOCODE : un sistema simplificado de codificación para la computadora MERCURY (1961)
Por Ernesto García Camarero

Primer manual escrito en español para el uso del lenguaje de programacion Autode, de la Computadora Mercury utilizada en el Instituto de Calculo de la Universidad de Buenos Aires. Impreso en los talleres del Departamento de Biblioteca y Publicaciones de la Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales en Noviembre de 1961.
Attachments
El_Lenguaje_AUTOCODE.zip
(778.54 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

A couple of articles about the Mercury, one concerning it's reception in Argentina.
Attachments
Article_14-Babini.zip
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
gus

Post by gus »

Moggy wrote:Hi Gus
Is this of any use?
Regards
Moggy

AUTOCODE : un sistema simplificado de codificación para la computadora MERCURY (1961)
Por Ernesto García Camarero

Primer manual escrito en español para el uso del lenguaje de programacion Autode, de la Computadora Mercury utilizada en el Instituto de Calculo de la Universidad de Buenos Aires. Impreso en los talleres del Departamento de Biblioteca y Publicaciones de la Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales en Noviembre de 1961.
Hi Moggy !

Thanks for the manual. I have a copy of this one, in fact I meet Ernesto personally in a presentation at Universidad de Buenos Aires last week. :)

Thanks for your help,
Gus