Suggestions for what to put in a ZX81 ROM?

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
RetroTechie

Suggestions for what to put in a ZX81 ROM?

Post by RetroTechie »

I've been thinking about replacing the ROM in one of my ZX81's by a bigger one, with the option to select part of it. And I was wondering: what would you suggest to put in there as options to select?

Considered including the following:
  • Regular ZX81 ROM.
  • ZX80 ROM (2x as it's a 4 KB ROM).
  • A duo of Forth ROMs: H4th and Tree4th, which seem essentially the same but I'd like the option to check out either 'flavor'.
Which would conveniently fit into a 27C256 (32 KB). But with more ROMs to include, I could go for a 27C512 (64 KB) which also fits in a 28-pin footprint. An EEPROM or even a large Flash EPROM is also an option, but re-writing the contents might be difficult after I'd write eg. a Forth ROM into it. And I'd like to keep the 'select logic' as simple as possible, for example a few pull-up resistors + jumpers on highest address lines.

So: any suggestions on other ROMs to include? Bugfixed versions? Perhaps a ROM that does away with the keyword-based entry method?
Andy Rea

Re: Suggestions for what to put in a ZX81 ROM?

Post by Andy Rea »

all of the above and the SG81 _b rom as posted by Szolt here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=801&p=7881&hilit=fastest#p7881, has faster math routines, tweaked for-next and gosub-return and nmi speed-up too.

Having said that it would be nice to have RAM that can be paged into the ROM area ( or even 0-16k, you can then run sponzy ) that way you can load and tweak rom images to your hearts content.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
RetroTechie

Re: Suggestions for what to put in a ZX81 ROM?

Post by RetroTechie »

You mean something like this: 32K*8 non-volatile RAM (FRAM).

Would indeed be nice to replace RAM and ROM with a single memory chip. 8-)
If I'd ever do a ZX81 clone from scratch, I might go that way.