Rom hex file help

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
PokeMon

Re: Rom hex file help

Post by PokeMon »

stefano wrote:I had a deeper look in the 4th roms.
First of all, they're very similar. The only differences are in the video loop and in the copyright message.

This permits us to understand that this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-f26z8Vqo4
is running in PAL mode.. if you look at it carefully you'll notice that the f4th rom is generating a different video frequency.

I havent fully decoded the video loop but it looks quite customized.. couldn't it just be not compatible with the zx80core ?
I.E. I see the video loop uses the system variable locations FC80h and FC82h.. is it normal ?
On the german forum somebody posted the manual of H4TH with description, containing following memory map and all system variables defined in upper section (Fxxx):
H4thmap.jpg
H4thmap.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
During startup a routine tests if the area $2000-$3FFF contains RAM or ROM. If it's RAM it will be added to the dictionary space offering useable area from $2000-$7FFF. If it is ROM it is checked if it is an additional ROM containing more H4TH code and bound to the main ROM.

Link to the full manual:
http://zx81.ordi5.free.fr/dominique/dow ... h-h4th.pdf
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Being terminally thick I cannot help with technicalities but should anyone finally come up with a ROM image they think will work on a real zeddy and not a guess based on it working with eighty one, then I'll erase my EPROMS and start again. :)

QUOTE POKEMON....."This looks like a simple timing error of about 3 chars / 12 t-states missing when starting the first line. ;)"

I should add that in eighty one the screen display does move correctly to the left when using the patched ROM, but when using real zeddy not only do the top two lines corrupt but the rest of screen display although not corrupted does not shift left and the inverse mask still lacks its right most attribute so is this just a case of a few misplaced ticks? If so why isn't the whole display shifted and corrupted? Only the top few lines are corrupted the rest of the display is just like the non-patched ROM, up and to the right.

After an evening spent erasing programming and adaptor making then pulling out my hair when I find it doesn't work then repeating the whole process again to ascertain it went ok first time around I concluded it's time to stop basing everything on how it should theoretically work in eighty one which I'm beggining to suspect was a little bit kludged to make it look zeddy like in operation but is a wee bit different from the real thing under the hood !! :lol:
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Moggy wrote: QUOTE POKEMON....."This looks like a simple timing error of about 3 chars / 12 t-states missing when starting the first line. ;)"
I meant your last two posted pictures only. ;)
There is a chance to get a running system from one guy in Germany who ownes one of the last working H4TH Zeddy in real hardware.
Unfortunately the keyboard membrane is broken when opening.
I think there is a chance to get a copy from it.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

PokeMon wrote:
Moggy wrote: QUOTE POKEMON....."This looks like a simple timing error of about 3 chars / 12 t-states missing when starting the first line. ;)"
I meant your last two posted pictures only. ;)
There is a chance to get a running system from one guy in Germany who ownes one of the last working H4TH Zeddy in real hardware.
Unfortunately the keyboard membrane is broken when opening.
I think there is a chance to get a copy from it.

What a genuine original ROM and not a copy? :?:

PLEEEESE get an image of this if you can Carl and we can at last solve this puzzle. :D
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Not original ROM but working in original hardware.
Can see here (maybe have to be registered to see ...):
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 438#p16177
ZX81-FORTH
BY DAVID HUSBAND
COPYRIGHT (C) 1983
14976 BYTES FREE
Paul

Post by Paul »

I received the working Forth Zeddy today and extracted the ROM.
It is identical with the H4TH.ROM that was supplied with EightyOne. :twisted:
Both work with EightyOne without problems and I did the check with the ROM file of EO, it works perfectly in an Issue One Zeddy in Hardware.
It's a 50hz Version, not 60hz. And yes, the Video output starts quite high and to the right but works ok. It's just the way it is ;)
No Idea who or what happend so someone thought it might not work.
Maybe the fact that at least two Kilobytes of Memory are neccessary? So no reaction with 1K.
Unless someone comes up with a even more "original" Zeddy running H4TH this must be thought of beeing the original Version that can be downloaded everywhere.
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote:I received the working Forth Zeddy today and extracted the ROM.
It is identical with the H4TH.ROM that was supplied with EightyOne. :twisted:
Both work with EightyOne without problems and I did the check with the ROM file of EO, it works perfectly in an Issue One Zeddy in Hardware.
It's a 50hz Version, not 60hz. And yes, the Video output starts quite high and to the right but works ok. It's just the way it is ;)
No Idea who or what happend so someone thought it might not work.
Maybe the fact that at least two Kilobytes of Memory are neccessary? So no reaction with 1K.
Unless someone comes up with a even more "original" Zeddy running H4TH this must be thought of beeing the original Version that can be downloaded everywhere.
Kind regards
Paul
Yes and it works with my zeddies also.
The points that were being made were that the screen position is not so far out in eighty one but is with real zeddy also the inverse mask covers all characters in eighty one but with real zeddy the right most column is not masked try it Paul and see for your self, or look at the pictures earlier in the thread.

When stefano made a patched version of H4th it worked perfectly in eighty one with a more centred screen position etc, but when burned to an EPROM it did not work with real zeddy again see pictures earlier in thread.
My conclusion being that eighty one is not really a sound application to make SOME assumptions concerning real equipment or put another way it looks and seems to work like the real thing but not truly emulating the 81 at a base level hence the different results mentioned earlier.

I have looked at the picture of the EPROM from which you extracted the image and it is not an original skywave EPROM so unless source can be truly verified who's to say it has not been altered in some way to work with eighty one which due to the points already mentioned does operate fractionally differently on the real thing.

As I said at the beginning the only image we have is the h4th one not an original Skywave one and who's to say Mike Wynne did't patch it to work with eighty one? I'm sure I read somewhere that the Ace ROM was altered to work in eighty one. The following that accompanies eighty one is intriguing ....

"Version 0.31 11/11/04
Tidied up the Tape Manager (it's now resizable!). Fixed a bug in the interupt generation code.
This solves a problem where the display would get shifted left or right depending on the code
used to create it. H-Forth and TreeForth ROMs now work correctly (They need to be configured
in a certain way - ROM patches off, 16k of RAM and Shadow RAM on)."

There are one or two other bugs I have found along the way but as most zeddy users are not Forth enthusiasts and only have the image to complete the collection so to speak then none of this is important, at the end of the day it is just a small mind game to pass the time nothing more. ;)

PS Paul My wife sends her regards and was glad you enjoyed the sandwiches. :lol: :D
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Moggy wrote:"Version 0.31 11/11/04
Tidied up the Tape Manager (it's now resizable!). Fixed a bug in the interupt generation code.
This solves a problem where the display would get shifted left or right depending on the code
used to create it. H-Forth and TreeForth ROMs now work correctly (They need to be configured
in a certain way - ROM patches off, 16k of RAM and Shadow RAM on)."
This may be the reason, why it is not working in a ZX80CORE (Shadowed RAM on).
So it seems it need full RAM from $4000-$FFFF (even if only shadowed).
The ZX80CORE has a ROM shadow at $8000-$BFFF which is possibly the problem.
We will know more tomorrow. ;)
stefano

Post by stefano »

>When stefano made a patched version of H4th it worked perfectly in eighty one with a more >centred screen position etc, but when burned to an EPROM it did not work with real zeddy again >see pictures earlier in thread.

:oops: Sorry for the time I made you spend on it, Moggy !
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

stefano wrote:>When stefano made a patched version of H4th it worked perfectly in eighty one with a more >centred screen position etc, but when burned to an EPROM it did not work with real zeddy again >see pictures earlier in thread.

:oops: Sorry for the time I made you spend on it, Moggy !

@Stefano

PLEASE DO NOT BE SORRY!!!!!!!!

As I am not as smart as most on the forum and the world of GALS, PICS etc is a closed book to me so one of the few pleasures in life I have is firing up the old spectrum EPROM burner to burn a few images and then spend a happy afternoon wiring up a 2764 to fit the zeddy! :D

This has been a good learning experience for me and I have enjoyed every minute so please stefano you keep writing images and I will keep on burning and learning. :lol:

Best regards stefano.

Moggy.