Odyssey Computing - Invaders

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Sibird

Re: Odyssey Computing - Invaders

Post by Sibird »

Hi Rich good to see you getting back to me. I did wonder as your original post is now over 6 years old now :) I used to collect a few of these games and still also have my BBC Micro, 520 ST Spectrum +2 etc etc and was a proud 11 year old with my ZX81. I have 3d monster maze (still remember it scaring the hell out of me) here with me and a couple more most likely still at my mums. I was aware that this game is very rare as I looked into it a while ago and was quite surprised to see one sell for £50 if I remember. I was looking to sell it hence I fell upon your post. I do love the fact that these sites exist and people are still enjoying these fantastic games. My 12 year old has turned into a serious gamer with his XBox 1 and PS4 but still enjoys playing retro games so maybe it is a genetic thing. I will scan this cover and try to get the contents of the cassette preserved although how I am not sure as I haven't got anything set up to do this, but we shall see. I will make the effort as it would be good to see this game up and running maybe on an emulator. Again thanks for replying and I hope this puts a smile on your face to know that this even exists out there. Cheers, Simon.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Simon

It would be great if you could preserve this game :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

I found a manual for Odyssey Hi-Res graphics, an extended BASIC package for use with the ZX81. From reading the manual it is clear they are using some form of Pseudo Hi-Res video driver, I've attached the cover and last page. If anyone wants the whole thing let me know, 900K. I don't have the program and have never seen it posted anywhere, the syntax they use for their BASIC is kind of interesting and I've not seen it used elsewhere. The last page shows a list of programs that were available at one time, again none of these are available, too bad, it would be nice to see the PSI res ZORF and Swarm games, something different than another Space Invaders game.

Regards;

Greg
Attachments
Odyssey HRG.gif
Odyssey HRG.gif (49.22 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
Odyssey HRG Games.gif
(45.36 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

It'd be great to get some screen shots of this game - see what it was like :)
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

High Resolution Invaders by Odyssey Computing is now available for download from here.

It might be yet another version of Space Invaders for the ZX81, but it's a pretty impressive looking version. It uses an alternate approach to generate its pseudo high resolution display compared to the mechanism used by games such as Forty Niner and Rocket Man. The technique has similarities to that used in Z-Xtricator but pre-dates it by a year. It also generates a very pleasing 234 line display!
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

I couldn't get this to run in EO or NO$ZX but it does run in sx81, Windows version.

Regards;

Greg
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

GCHarder wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm I couldn't get this to run in EO or NO$ZX but it does run in sx81, Windows version.
I load the program into EightyOne (version 1.2) as follows: Select a standard ZX81 configuration and load as normal. After the program loads, the screen will flash black and then turns white. It will remain completely white for about 8 seconds before the menu appears. The menu initially consists of a single row, which I generally find is displayed slanted to right. Reset EightyOne using SHIFT + F2 and then type LOAD "" to load the game again. I find the game now displays correctly.