ZX81 to ZX Spectrum conversion possible

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
1024MAK

Re: ZX81 to ZX Spectrum conversion possible

Post by 1024MAK »

I thought we were talking about this program. Which ‘LOADs’ and converts ZX81 BASIC programs so that they will run on a ZX Spectrum.

If however, we are talking about running a ZX81 program as is, then yes, a ZX Spectrum 48K machine would need a suitable hardware interface.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

double post
Last edited by Moggy on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:33 pm slowloader I used was software only and worked good in 1983.
This magazine and others mention an hardware attachment and it is the same east London robotics company bwinkle mentions.

Page 5

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/14/item ... -09-02.pdf

LATE EDIT.

Have edited the above as I was somewhat rude to my old friend Paul in the original text. :oops:

bitte akzeptiere meine Entschuldigung, Paul
Last edited by Moggy on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@Moggy - you sir, have the advantage of having more knowledge, and have read the article. So if, as that article says, an expansion interface/hardware is required, that may explain why bwinkel67 is not having any success.

Either that, or there is more than one version of the program, and the copy that bwinkel67 has, is designed for use with the hardware.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I did notice that the magazine is 82 and Paul says his version is 83 so yes perhaps they found some way around the hardware gubbins.

I do know the company went bust shortly after so maybe they dropped the hardware version to save cash?

Or perhaps it was some kind of primitive dongle needed to stop copies of the program being used but then dropped for the above cash reasons.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

As I have the luxury of time on my hands tonight I will download a copy of the program and try it my 48+.
It's a Samsung jobby and not a fussy loader, so will give it a spin and report back the result. If successful then this would be the version bwinkle needs.

Some kind of manual would be useful if anyone has it?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I've downloaded 2 different TAP files for slowloader, one supposedly 1982 the other 1983.
Both files differ in size and markedly so when converted to WAV. whilst both TAPs load into fuse ok The WAV's however do not.
The earlier smaller file loads as it should in WAV format however the later, larger WAV does not and displays the kind of loading screen one sees when LOAD"" is used rather than LOAD"" CODE if you follow my meaning?

Anything above this is beyond me but will press on with real kit tonight.

I have attached the 2 TAPs should anyone want to study them.
Attachments
ZXSlowloader.zip
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Tried this on real spectrum and sad to say I get the same result as bwinkle, the ZX81 WAV happily loads into real zeddy but slowloader doesn't even hear it.

It all works well on emulation but not the real thing be it tape or laptop and my spectrum will even load from a laptop earphone outlet so volume not a problem!as

My only thought is that the smaller of the files called "SLOWLOADER" from 1982 requires the hardware interface and the bigger 1983 version I have titled "slowloader2" is the software only version which sadly I cannot get to load on real thing.

It would take someone smarter than myself to perhaps analyse the 2 files and find a solution.

I have attached the 2 TAP files converted to WAV.
Attachments
SLOWLOAD.zip
(98.51 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Moggy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:42 pm Tried this on real spectrum and sad to say I get the same result as bwinkle, the ZX81 WAV happily loads into real zeddy but slowloader doesn't even hear it.

It all works well on emulation but not the real thing be it tape or laptop and my spectrum will even load from a laptop earphone outlet so volume not a problem!as

My only thought is that the smaller of the files called "SLOWLOADER" from 1982 requires the hardware interface and the bigger 1983 version I have titled "slowloader2" is the software only version which sadly I cannot get to load on real thing.

It would take someone smarter than myself to perhaps analyse the 2 files and find a solution.

I have attached the 2 TAP files converted to WAV.
The slowloader I used in 1997 with my emulator (I converted the code) was from a guy from Holland, name was in a REM line, so is that in one of your versions? I might take a look in the source I have somewhere.
bwinkel67

Post by bwinkel67 »

Wow, I get busy with school, come back and a terrific thread of folks with great info. Thanks to all. One question, if the 1982 ZX Slowloader requires hardware (apologies as I haven't read the article), why does the EightyOne emulator in 48K Spectrum mode handle it with real ZX81 .wav file? Shouldn't it balk at not knowing/having the interface?

I will play in the future with trying to get ZX Slowloader2 on load on my 48K Spectrum. I'm just getting to know that machine and I love software like that. I'm no as much of a gamer so I like looking at interesting software that does neat stuff back in the days before emulators and powerful PC's. One of my all-time favorite was MCODER2 for the ZX81, which, once I figured out how to do multiple loads to get past the size limits, worked a treat to compile a lengthy BASIC program.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. Much appreciated!