ZX81 to ZX Spectrum conversion possible

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
bwinkel67

Re: ZX81 to ZX Spectrum conversion possible

Post by bwinkel67 »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:52 am Timex Sinclair never released a TS2000 model (they had problems with complying with the regulations), so I can’t imagine that advert running for long. Timex Sinclair instead released the TS2068 in November 1983.
Oh, I didn't realize that was vaporware. I just thought it was referring to the TS2068.
1024MAK wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:52 am As I said earlier, the cassette tape circuitry in the ULAs for the ZX Spectrum issue one and issue two boards is different to that in the issue 3 and onward boards.
Do you think a different ULA could cause ZX Slowloader to actually work in the Spectrum (i.e. without the extra circuit)? I ask because I have Charlie Ingley's ULA replacement and could try that. I have a 2nd broken 16K Spectrum that I haven't been able to debug and someone donated the ULA to see if that fixed it.

It's still a shame I can't locate even a picture of the device they used with the software. Probably was pretty simple and could be re-created, but always nice to at least document interesting software/hardware like that.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I’m not sure if Charlie Ingley's ULA replacement would help, I think it is based on the later ULAs. As later ULAs were backwards compatible with earlier issue boards. Although not backwards compatible with software written for the ULAs originally used on issue one and two boards.

There are brief details of the different ULAs and which boards they were normally used on here.
A 5C112E may not work in later issue boards, especially if it’s an issue 4A or later.

The only way to know if ZX Slowloader would work as you suggest, would be to try it. Without knowing more facts, we are just speculating…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

That explains why it didn't work on my 48plus which has a 6C001E-7 ULA fitted.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I found the map with the slowloader code printed out.

First of all, the code is from a dutch guy called Ivo Breeden.

A google on his name and slowloader gave exactly 0 matches.

I could spent time analyzing how the loader works.
I only have the loading part, the converterpart must be taken from another slowloader.
31EC0B5A-E4F9-4977-8435-C608CB513F8A.png
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I downloaded my own 81TOspeccie tool and in that tool it is mentioned that the SLOWLOADER from Ivo Breeden is from 1985.

I would suggest to download this loader and see if you can load and convert a program to my emulator.
If this works then you know that the loader will work and you can combine this loader with the converter from the other tool.
bwinkel67

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I got ZX Slowloader to work on my 48K Spectrum with the vLA82 replacement ULA from Charlie Ingley. So indeed, the version of the ULA seems to matter. With the ULA clone, it was able to pick up the ZX81 audio at any level, but interestingly, only read it in when I moved it to about 80% (usually I load at around 95%).

Here's a picture of my original ULA to verify it's indeed an earlier version. It says 45th week of 1983, so I'm guessing that's pretty early on:

thumbnail_IMG_2636.jpg
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Absolutely wonderful that you have been able to get the program working and have loaded a ZX81 program 8-)

The 6C001E-6 like the one in your picture, was mainly used on issue 3 boards.

Later versions, as far as the cassette circuitry/function were the same.

It’s actually earlier ULA types, as used on mainly issue one and issue two boards that have differences in the cassette circuitry/function.

You would have to chat with Charlie to find out more about how he implemented the cassette circuitry/function on the vLA82.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
bwinkel67

Post by bwinkel67 »

I got a reply from Charlie:
The vLA82 analogue circuitry is fairly close to the later Sinclair ULAs but ended up slightly more sensitive. I'll send you the schematic...
Speaking of sensitivity, I also tried my 4th generation ULA (out of 5) with different volume levels (between 70% and 100% at 5% increments) and at no time did ZX Slowloader ever recognize a program was being loaded (i.e. no _ was seen). With vLA82, I was getting the _ every time, it just took me finding the 80% mark to get it to load without error.

I'm not one to read schematics, so let me know if anyone wants to take a look.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I’ve sent you a PM…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
stefano

Post by stefano »

It could be the program was developed for a different zx spectrum issue.
Issue 1 and 2 have a different polarity and sensibility in the EAR input than issue 3 (and 4)