Copying software to/from tapes?

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
gozzo

Re: Copying software to/from tapes?

Post by gozzo »

Try cleaning the tape head first - ideally use isopropyl alcohol, if not, brake cleaner or as a last resort, meths. If that doesn't work try adjusting the azimuth - play a tape (with no leads connected) at mid volume and adjust for the 'clearest'/most 'treble' sound. If still no luck the head may have got magnetized(unlikely,though) and you will need a demagnetizer.If still no luck, you could try slowing the tape motor down a fraction (this of course means opening the thing up). Other problems are 'possible' but much less likely - dirty heads are the most common problem, especially when loading 'original' old software - the oxide can detach from the tape and clog the head up.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

It may also be worth checking that you have put the wire into the EAR socket on both the ZX81 and the tape recorder !! ;)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Lee,

does loading the tape work without ZXpand attached? I can't think of any reason why it would make a difference, and at least one of the members here has had great success using tape scrape but then nothing surprises me in the world of zeddy any more :¬.

I'd be happy to have a go at converting a tape file if you wouldn't mind posting up the WAV - but ideally we can solve this one for you...

C
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote:Hi Lee,

does loading the tape work without ZXpand attached? I can't think of any reason why it would make a difference, and at least one of the members here has had great success using tape scrape but then nothing surprises me in the world of zeddy any more :¬.

I'd be happy to have a go at converting a tape file if you wouldn't mind posting up the WAV - but ideally we can solve this one for you...

C

Yes Sir I was that member :lol:
Thirty years of stuff recovered in the time it took to play the tapes :D
I found Sir morris' tape scrape to be really tolerant of signal even to the point of saving rubbish as a P file rather than just crashing. So if nothing is converting then, as suggested, signal could be low, also if tapes have not been played in a while each layer of the spooled tape transfers some of its signal to the next layer which can cause problems.

That being the case Lee post the wavs on the forum and lets get stuck in!
If that fails I would be happy to work on the original tapes for You as analogue audio is my bag and I love a challenge.

Regards.
Moggy
PrimitivePerson

Post by PrimitivePerson »

Thanks everyone for all the pointers - I've just tried cleaning the heads. I picked up a head cleaner cassette from Maplins (I'm glad you can still find these!) and it worked just fine - first thing I tried loaded a treat. I was just concerned as all the tape recorder is very new and not much used, but I guess tapes that are 30 years old can deposit a lot of crud onto the heads.

Tape Scrape looks brilliant - I'm off to give it a try...

Lee
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Glad to hear it Lee :D

With tape scrape if You have left at least a two second gap between "tracks" and no noise present in-between You should be able to just let the tape run without stopping and with luck all Your stuff should be dumped onto the SD card.

Regards.
Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

If you have any issues with the program then please be sure to speak up and we'll sort them :)

c
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

To 'primitive person' what sort of head cleaner cassette did you use? the type you have to put a few drops of liquid on a moving brush thingy or the sort that just looks like a normal tape but is actually an abrasive coated 'clear leader' tape - I could never get on with those things, I clean tape heads manually with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud - gets most muck off!
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I had same problem to transport .p files via audio out from PC to my ZX81 and had several experiments today. The best tool I found is the ZX81 tape converter which was running ordinary with no problems at all, you just have to find out the best volume setting. Via my PC sound system connected to EAR i had best success using 75% of maximum volume. You should not forget to turn it down when disconnecting ZX81 and shutdown Windows. Otherwise your neighbours have fun too. :mrgreen:

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tapeut ... rview.html

The best thing is, that it is useable for different platform as Java archive (jar) and should run on every operating system supporting Java and have a sound output. The GUI version is started with "javaw -jar tapeutils.jar" but command line version is available too. This JAR supports both directions, WAV files can be converted to .p file or tzx archives. The software does not support direct recording from the sound card.

Additional there is a support of full ZX81 listing of WAV files or .p files. At original ZX81 listing is aborted after several lines, but not in the integrated listing editor.

Really nice tool. ;)