Fastload by International Publishing & Software - Instructions?

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
TMAOne

Fastload by International Publishing & Software - Instructions?

Post by TMAOne »

Does anyone have more comprehensive instructions for the Fastload set of programs by International Publishing and Software Inc. (1982)? Like hopefully a scan of a cassette J-card?

I am finally, after 40 years of loading tapes "the slow way", looking into this program. All roads seem to lead to a fruitless tape read which hangs the system. Not even <Break> will get me out. Either I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, or the routines do not work with the advanced X2 ROM, or both.

Thanks in advance,
Ian
IMG_20220320_162538125.jpg
Fruitcake

Re: Fastload by International Publishing & Software - Instructions?

Post by Fruitcake »

The program was released by IPS:
http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tape/Fastload

And by Artic:
http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tape/Fastload(Artic)

Unfortunately, neither entry there has the instructions for it.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Out of curiosity on various fast load mechanisms, I actually produced a partial commented disassembly of this format last year. The system supports 4x or 6x speeds.

Here is the disassembly of the bootloader:
Artic Fastload - Side B - Bootstrap Loader.asm
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

I don't have the printed instructions for the program but followed the instructions in the REM at line 200. I managed to create a fast load version of 3D Monster Maze. Here is the wav file I created:
3D Monster Maze (Artic Fastload).zip
(886.54 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

It can be loaded into EightyOne as follows:
- Configure EightyOne to load from Wav file and at normal speed
- Type LOAD ""
- The Bootloader routine loads in and runs
- Continue to play the tape
- The high speed data of 3D Monster Maze will then be loaded in
- Type SLOW
- Run program using RUN 1015

I found the program loads back in in FAST mode, so you need to manually select SLOW mode. This could probably be done by modifying the bootstrap loader, as could making the the fast load encoded program read in auto-run, e.g. add these lines to the bootstrap loader before saving it out:

120 SLOW
130 RUN

If I recall correctly:
- You load in the Bootstrap Loader
- Delete line 200
- Add the two lines above if desired
- Edit the file name in line 100 to be whatever you want, e.g. I set it to "3D MM" for the above
- Type CLS
- Type GOTO 1 to save out the Bootstrap Loader to tape
- Reset the ZX81
- Now load in the Monitor program (as it is the thing that will encode your program into the high speed format)
- Press U to load any program then Y
- Load in the program you wish to have converted to the high speed format
- Once loaded, I think it provides an option to save out at your preferred speed
- You save the program out after the Bootstrap Loader you saved out earlier

Just tried it again but can't get the Monitor to load in a program. Somehow I got it to work before but I don't recall any more details. Hopefully someone will have the instructions you are after.
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Thanks Fruitcake. I appreciate the time you spent looking into this.

Your point form summary matches my interpretation of the "line 200" instructions.

But my experience was that your 2nd-to-last point, "Once loaded, I think it provides an option to save out at your preferred speed", just doesn't materialize. The monitor continues to "read" past the end of the program, and never comes out.

I'll try using EightyOne to determine if it's a ROM incompatibility.

Thanks again for the responses.
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Hmm. Doesn't seem to be ROM related, but I can't get the monitor to load a program successfully, in either EightyOne or the hardware. I'm thinking "user error", but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The finished 3D Monster Maze image Fastloads up well in both environments though.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

I recalled incorrectly. I thought I must have found the manual but could not locate it. But I've now found where I archived it! I don't recall where I originally found it and it's not a good scan but better than nothing.

Here it is:
FastLoad.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 118 times

It comes back to me now. You load the Monitor, press newline, then BREAK, then NEW. Load the program you want to convert, set up the command you want the Monitor to execute using variable T$ and then execute a USR command, e.g.

FastLoad.gif
FastLoad.gif (1.57 KiB) Viewed 1818 times

The on screen options in the Monitor I tried earlier today actually loads in files already in the high speed format, which I verified using the high speed encoded version of 3D Monster Maze.
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Thanks Fruitcake! I'll try that straight away. I owe you a frosty cold one. :)
stevenmcdonald

Post by stevenmcdonald »

Hi there,

Regarding Fastload - my reply is partly related - it may support it soon...

Last year when I had COVID, I decided to write an internal Tape Mastering Utility.

It's purpose was for my (still) upcoming real TAPE release of the follow up to Rock Crush - Rock Crush 2 - 'The Power Of Dan'.

The utility attaches itself to a .P81 file and will then allow you to save it to tape in various formats.

It also allows you to import/read in various high speed formats and also to output them. There are also boot loader options to store them on tape first and verify options. It doesn't support Fastload format yet but it is planned in the future.

Paul Farrow (Fruitcake) kindly supplied annotated disassemblies of the Artic, JRS and QSave formats which I adapted parts from to allow importing.

JRS and QSave import is included at present but Artic is still on the v5 todo list.

I also did a turbo Sinclair Rom compatible format that outputs near double speed and used the normal Sinclair ROM to load. It just messes with the pulse lengths and interpulse delays.

I would welcome feedback on how reliable the TURBO format really is in the real world as later this year I am thinking of using it to make ROCK CRUSH 2 copies - perhaps on the B side of the tape in turbo format.

I hand tuned the delays and It seems quite reliable at least on the tape recorders I had access to. There is a Verify option to check if it worked!

There is a user manual included for Tape Master as well to explain all this better.

You can get it here for now - I will do more work on a version 5 later this year..

http://www.pictureviewerpro.com/hosting ... ster41.zip

Regards

Steve McDonald.