ZX80 Software copied...how to convert to .o ???

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
nama

ZX80 Software copied...how to convert to .o ???

Post by nama »

I'm not sure if these tapes exist anywhere on the net, so I decided to make a copy. I have 10 cassettes for the ZX80 from 'Image Computer products' including their 'Computer Learning Lab' series (unfortunately I don't have the tutorials/manuals).

Anyway, I am presently ripping the tapes to .wav files, but was wondering how I could convert these to .o images.

Thanks in advance

Philip
nama

Re: ZX80 Software copied...how to convert to .o ???

Post by nama »

Humm...no replied!

I guess converting wav to .o isn't as simple as I was hoping.

I've managed to load a few wav files in eightyone, and for the present time I've just saved them as snapshots (.z81) until I can figure out what to do with them.

Many of the captured wav files are in bad shape. I'm working to retrieve as much as I can.

Phil
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Phil,

This was a very busy weekend for people - please don't think we're ignoring you :)

I have a tool which _might_ be able to convert your wavs. What problems are you having with EO? Is it that EO can't use WAVs or that the files themselves contain poor data?

Have you looked for Steve Macdonald's tools? They might help. Also, if you can get one of your troublesome WAVs to me I'll be happy to have a look.

C
Paul

Post by Paul »

nama wrote:I'm not sure if these tapes exist anywhere on the net, so I decided to make a copy. I have 10 cassettes for the ZX80 from 'Image Computer products' including their 'Computer Learning Lab' series (unfortunately I don't have the tutorials/manuals).

Anyway, I am presently ripping the tapes to .wav files, but was wondering how I could convert these to .o images.

Thanks in advance

Philip
Hi Philip,
I was on a zx-microfair last weekend so I could not answer earlier.
have a look at this site:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... save#p2007
It is in german, but translation by google will help. There is a zip file with the .o files as well as a zip file for loadsave by bodo wenzel. This is a software that converts zx80/zx81 output into .o/.p files directly through the serial port (with schematics).
It needs an OP for reading.
For anybody who only wants the opposite direction (PC->ZX80/ZX81) there are only 2 Resistors needed for that.
It works perfect and no problems with sound levels...
The best is: your host may be a DOS/Windows/Linux/TOS (AtariST).
Please try it and have fun.

In case you have cassettes that are missing in this zip, please state so we can add them when you have converted them.
Have fun
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
nama

Post by nama »

Sorry guys, being all the way over here in Japan I didn't realize what an important weekend it was.

Anyway, I have downloaded all those previous "Image Computer Products' files, and most of mine seem to be different, and only one cassette is the same. Here is the list of what I have:

• Learning lab 1 - Distance/Rate/Time
• Learning lab 2 - Guessing game
• Learning lab 3 - Floor, wall, and volume calculator
• Learning lab 4 - Math Calculator
• Learning lab 7 - Counting Machine
• Learning lab 8 - Probability
• Learning lab 9 - Sorting
• Learning lab 10 - Math Teacher
• Learning lab 11 - Hangperson
• Learning lab 12 - Code Breaker
• 5209 - **ALREADY PREVIOUS COPIED**
• 5802 - Bubble sort, Line Renumber, Machine code, Memory left
• 5102 - Time Calculator (side a), Perpetual calendar (side b)
• 5208 - Graph Plotter, Bar Charts, Statistics
• 5101 - Checkbook calculator (side a), Budget Anaysis (side b)

I just tried Steve McDonalds utils ZXC and ZXD (hopefully these were the ones you were referring to), but again they produce .p files and I think I also need to find a program that saves .wav files as .raw.

Bodo's software and cable solution looks interesting…may have to build one when I get some time.

I have uploaded all my .wav files, and also some .z81 snapshots of what I've managed to retrieve so far (I've only managed to retrieve 3 programs!!!) to my server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If any wav files are problematic, just let me know and I can re-record at a different setting.

My server can be found here:

https://public.me.com/lord_philip

Look under Sinclair/ZX80/ICP cassettes.

Cheers
Phil