Battery backed up 8K to 16K area

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
crankorgan

Re: Battery backed up 8K to 16K area

Post by crankorgan »

PokeMon,
When the program is pulled out of the Hunter into the program RAM area, a copy is still there! So if things crash due to a wiring error or short to 5 volts a simple RESET then RAND USER 8269 brings the program back up! The setup is perfect for circuit testing and proto typing. Since the switch on the Hunter is off you can write to that area without wiping out the Hunter program.

John
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi John.

I finally got round to scanning the whole Hunter manual, a bit late in the day, I know, but there may be some pearls of wisdom You can glean.

Regards.
Moggy
Attachments
HUNTER MANUAL.zip
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
crankorgan

Post by crankorgan »

Thanks Moggy,
I have turned the unit on and off at least 100 times and it is still ticking! Blows the DOORS off Windows, DOS or the Z80 Trainer I got.

John
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

crankorgan wrote:Since the switch on the Hunter is off you can write to that area without wiping out the Hunter program.
Okay - I didn't know about using a write protect switch. :roll:
In that way I wish you a merry christmas.
Let the tree burn. :lol:
crankorgan

Post by crankorgan »

This project has evolved into BBUM and is now continuing in the Development section as an internal BBUM.
crankorgan

Post by crankorgan »

While working on the BBUM project I was able to change this project so it stores the Hunter Program in the 8K to 16K and also have memory in the 32K to 48K area. I need to put in Sir Morris' program and see if I can move a 16K basic program up and back. All testing using Pokes and Peeks says yes!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

That's a great feeling, isn't it :)

C
crankorgan

Post by crankorgan »

Sir Morris,
I got your version of the Hunter program installed on the BBUM unit. Today is the big file test. I will download and load that dancing girl demo and see if I can save it. My hopes for a two RAM chip internal memory died with a section of ram echoing. The original three chip project looks good so far! Your program is moving a Basic program from 16K to 32K up and back from 32K to 48K. I have done a small program. Today I will try the dancing girl. Thanks again! You too Moggy!

John
crankorgan

Post by crankorgan »

I loaded the Dancing girl. I hit run and she danced. I hit break and it would not stop! So I loaded it again. I hit LIST Then I hit RAND USR 8192 and it would only do a relist. Nothing went into the upper memory. I did a restore and it pulled up my test program. I need to try a different program. Hmmmmm!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I cannot think of many people who have gained as much pleasure out of a project than You John. :D
The first of many I hope.

Regards
Moggy