Strange/rare ? software

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
gozzo

Strange/rare ? software

Post by gozzo »

Has anyone seen anything like this before - never knew ICL did software for the ZX81 !!!! :-O
Attachments
zx81game.JPG
(532.01 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
RetroTechie

Re: Strange/rare ? software

Post by RetroTechie »

Online since 'forever', see here: http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/genera ... (ICL).html

Both in Sinclair branded and red-black box. Apparently not so rare after all... Btw couldn't find a bigger pic, could you? ;)
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

Common as muck,then! ;-) Just that I don't ever remember seeing adverts for them in the computer magazines I had at the time I had my ZX81 (1982/83/84 ish) ! As for the 'big picture' maybe I ought to resize before posting - but what resolution would fit best?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gozzo wrote:As for the 'big picture' maybe I ought to resize before posting - but what resolution would fit best?
I often resize to approximately "VGA" 640×480 resolution. Sometimes with a slightly smaller width of 620 pixels (to fit nicely in another forum).
For images taken with my camera this normally works out at around 17% of original image size!

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
angus

Post by angus »

I think those ICL tapes are pretty common. They were fair value given that you got a variety of programs on each tape but they were all written in BASIC. The 16K tapes were better. Some of these programs were re-used for the Spectrum in the very early days but didn't sell well.

I think I had most of the ICL tapes because I lived in Letchworth at the time, where ICL were based. My friend's dad even did some ZX81 programming for them. They were quite mathematical in that you often were looking at velocity and angles of firing missiles.

My favourite ICL games were 9 Hole Golf and Journey into Danger.